Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What?! Discover Payment Policy

tag
Scott_S
Regular Contributor

What?! Discover Payment Policy

So I just made my first payment on Discover It card.  I was waiting for a small transaction to post, but it was taking forever and I thought I just make another payment when it posts.  So today has posted and received a message before I submitted the payment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the safety and security of your account, if you make payment more often than every 3 days, your payments may NOT be reflected in your available credit for up to 8 days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is stupest thing I have ever heard!!!!!!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: What?! Discover Payment Policy

@Scott_S wrote:

So I just made my first payment on Discover It card.  I was waiting for a small transaction to post, but it was taking forever and I thought I just make another payment when it posts.  So today has posted and received a message before I submitted the payment

For the safety and security of your account, if you make payment more often than every 3 days, your payments may NOT be reflected in your available credit for up to 8 days.

You must have had a very nice upbringing if that really is the stupidest thing you ever heard....

Just one of their identified fraud risk factors.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so micropayments are a no....

one lump sum ok.  

Not like Cap1 and BoA who's taken them like candy.

Message 3 of 27
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Can we please not use the "R" word. It's certainly not necessary.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most CC issuers have similar policies for new accounts. It's nothing unusual.

Message 5 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was initially posted with a title that included a term that may be considered offensive against persons with certain types of developmental delay.   In the interest of maintaining the Forum's "FSR" standards--as well as to prevent distraction from a topic that may be of value to forum members--references to this term have been removed from the thread.   

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to message me on this issue.  

SunriseEarth

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 27
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Bravo. 

Message 7 of 27
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Yep that is their policy and it is not just for new accounts. I have heard of people being able to call in and get the hold released before the 8 days but might just be easier to space your payments with at least 4 days in between.

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scott_S wrote:

You've been a registered user here since 11/9/2011 which means you knew exactly what to expect in that very scenario.

Message 9 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Scott_S wrote:

Many lenders set specific policies regarding payment frequency.   Most commonly, there is a monthly limit (e.g., Sync Bank typically limits to 4 payments per month).  I really don't find their limit too problematic.   Are you trying to optimize currently for a specific goal (auto loan, mortgage, app spree, etc)?   If so, then I understand your frustration.   If not, just bear in mind that scores are a just a snapshot of your credit at a current moment.   UTIL can always be corrected to what you want in the next reporting period.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.