Valued Member
ucibaqt

What Do I Need To Do To Get A CC

So I have been working on my credit. EQ shows at 615 now. My score is pretty much due to my moderate to high utilization. I'm planning on applying for a mortgage next year and was told that I needed another cc to show a mixture of credit. During my teens I was financially illiterate and many of the cc I opened were closed due to delinquency, since coming to the forums I have GW'd many of the late payments and now I'm only left with one derog that is scheduled to drop on 2/2013. Currently I have a Macys card and a Cap1 with low CL. I've been trying to apply for another card but I am finding it hard since everyone keeps denying me. I read some posts and a target card seems like the way to go but I' m worried that its another store card and not a cc. What can I do? Any suggestions?
Established Contributor
JoeBJay20

Re: What Do I Need To Do To Get A CC

Well it would improve your score and your chances for new credit if you got your utilization down below 10%.  After you do that, you should looking into joining a local credit union.  If you can't qualify for a card through a CU, you should consider a secured CC.  Secured cards from credit unions or prime lenders usually automatically unsecure after a period of on time payments, but you would want to make sure that the card you get will graduate to unsecured status at some point. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+