cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Do Most Credit Card Companies Like to See?

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: What Do Most Credit Card Companies Like to See?

I do know GE Care credit doesn't mind that you carry a balance.  I was a carrying a balance on them and still am,  and I was basically maxing them out for a couple of years.  Initial cl was 1000,  last feb I hit request a increase.  They increased it to 3750.  I say it depends on the card.

Message 11 of 16
bk510
Valued Contributor

@xsvspd wrote:

I've asked this question several times myself, as I'm curious as to what lenders like to see. I couldn't get a CLI, auto or luv to save my life up until a few months ago, as my util was 80% (luckily my CL was 4600, so I wasn't exactly drowning). I got my util down, started using my Cap1 and BofA card for all my purchases, often PIF several times a month to keep using it. I just went on an app and CLI spree a few days ago... They liked something I was doing. My $250 Best Buy card (2 yrs old) up to $750, and my $500 BofA card (1.5 yo) to $3,000. 

I just wish I knew what it was I did exactly to get the 6x CLI. I'm guess a combo of ~1% util, and no baddies, AAoA, blah, blah, blah, but I really want to know how much of a factor usage is. I know it will vary with each lender, but it would be great knowledge.

This is just my experience, FWIW. This link has some helpful info, but doesn't really detail usage...

Veni Vidi Vinci Visa or How to Master Your Mastercard

Xactly, thats the name of the game unfortuneately.

Its kind a like walking into KFC and asking them for their receipeSmiley Happy

You will never know.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 12 of 16
bk510
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

I guess this may be one of those things that the credit card companies will never tell us - or perhaps they do not even know!  Smiley Happy  

The main reason I ask is that I was shocked when I recently received an automatic increase from Capital One from $3400 to $8400 - a $5K increase.  I have been in recovery mode and was doing every thing humalnly possible to bring UTIL down.  As soon as I got Cap 1 down to a balance of $1K is when they bumped me up to a CL of $8400.  I now have a balance of $0 with them, so I am not sure if they will continue to love me or not.  My plan from this point with them is to just make small purchases through the month and PIF each month.  

Cool, what card was it? and how long did u have the card?

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 13 of 16
bk510
Valued Contributor

@xsvspd wrote:

It's almost a catch 22...

I know Amex seems to love customers who PIF, while Discover (from what I've read) seems to show love towards those who carry a balance. I've only received a CLI's on cards that I've PIF. But I'm also just getting away from toy limits within the last week.

I'm just gonna keep PIF every month on every account, and run a bill thru the cards that I don't use daily to keep them active. We'll see what happens in six months.

Is this mean carrying it month to month or let it report and pif within the grace period?

I pay in full before the due date (meaning again within grace period), and this allowed me to get auto cli's on all my plastics.

Message 14 of 16
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

@bk510 wrote:

@xsvspd wrote:

It's almost a catch 22...

I know Amex seems to love customers who PIF, while Discover (from what I've read) seems to show love towards those who carry a balance. I've only received a CLI's on cards that I've PIF. But I'm also just getting away from toy limits within the last week.

I'm just gonna keep PIF every month on every account, and run a bill thru the cards that I don't use daily to keep them active. We'll see what happens in six months.

Is this mean carrying it month to month or let it report and pif within the grace period?

I pay in full before the due date (meaning again within grace period), and this allowed me to get auto cli's on all my plastics.

This is exactly the type of question that I would like to know what lenders like. I've only been concerned with util for a few months now, so I don't think I've been able to reap the benefits of PIF yet. 

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 15 of 16
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

@awp317 wrote:

the only cards I have ever seen auto CLIs on are the ones that IM maxing out and paying off more than once a month. 

Case and point, you have high CLs, prob high income and like you just said you're never in debt, therefore the CC companies will only make money on you with swipes...

I just presumed its becausse they figured I needed the higher CLI because my spending habits reflected it. One of the reasons i was denlied a CLI once was because they said my limit was sufficent with my spending caracteristics. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.