Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Do you think of the local CU

tag
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

What Do you think of the local CU

What is your thought on the smaller local credit union. Yesterday I joined the CU down the street from my house. The reason for joining was because I wanted to start putting money away for a vacation. When I was doing this they said that they offered a credit card if I wanted to apply. I was to chicken too apply. But I was thinking of taking the chance and applying for the card. Will the small CU be as generous with a CL. Also the APR is 12% fixed and has been the same for 20 years.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Do you think of the local CU

Many here have written of being members of small local CUs and enjoying the personal service they provide. I'm sure some of them will be along soon to comment.

Keep depositing into that account even after the vacation is over!

Message 2 of 18
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Hi,  I just joined a local credit union myself last month.  The are friendly, helpful and very close to my home. They treat me better than wamu, ( chase ), does.  I am going to close out my checking acct with wamu and move to the credit union.  On another note, I dont like the way things are going with the banks.  I will feel better with my money at the credit union.  It  is still privately insured for up to $250,000.  Hope this info helps. 
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 3 of 18
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

I joined my local credit union about a year ago and I absolutely love them. They have a branch about two blocks from my house that they just built. I live in a small town and the only other bank in town is a Bank of ScumAmerica. I hate BosA. My credit union really has a way with costumer service. Every time I go in they say hello to me by name. We chat about the news or the weather for a few seconds and I'm on my way. They did deny me a credit card though because of my BK, but I havn't yet talked to them about a secured card or some other way of establishing credit with them. That will come soon. They even have free coffee, tea, and cookies in the lobby Smiley Happy

You just can't beat your local cu for personal service and friendliness (and Oatmeal Rasin cookies). Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in a poor county and the credit unions (and banks) know it and treat the customers with suspicion. I prefer to bank away from home.
Message 5 of 18
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I live in a poor county and the credit unions (and banks) know it and treat the customers with suspicion. I prefer to bank away from home.

I too live in a poor county, in fact the poorest county in my state. I was always under the impression that my local cu was for the snobs and rich people who lived on the hill (if you know what I mean). I was pleasantly surprised to find out this wasn't the case. I am treated just like anyone else there (I think). Even when I cash my puny paycheck! Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dizbuster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I too live in a poor county, in fact the poorest county in my state. I was always under the impression that my local cu was for the snobs and rich people who lived on the hill (if you know what I mean). I was pleasantly surprised to find out this wasn't the case. I am treated just like anyone else there (I think). Even when I cash my puny paycheck! Smiley Happy

The CU's that stand out for exceptional service or products are nowhere near my county (or state). The only time I have ever needed a local financial institution that was available for me to walk in was when I was not managing my money well. I much prefer to have a distant rlationship these days to avoid those bad memories.
Message 7 of 18
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the great responses. I went ahead with the credit card application. I gave it to them before work and they called back @ 4 and let me know I was approved. I decided not to take the card because i was hoping for a higher CL. I may call back on monday after thinking about it this weekend and take the card anyway. If I do take the card will a card like this grow with me in the next couple of years?   

Message 8 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on the offer!

No telling with individual lenders, but I would think that it should grow with you. You might ask them if there is a ceiling on it or anything.

Many CU's start out conservatively --after all, they're lending fellow members' money, and they're required to be careful --but once they get to know you, they tend to be much more generous than commercial banks.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 18
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Ok that is good to hear. I hope that I can still accept that offer on monday. The lady that was helping me has tomorrow  off.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.