tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: What Does Barclay Like to See?

@Dw4250 wrote:

Universal Law of Credit Card Use In Order to Secure CLIs

1.  Use your card regularly

2.  Pay on time 

3.  PIF or pay at least above the minimum.

4.  Keep your balances generally below 30% (<10% is optimal)

5.  Rinse/Repeat

Hmm, I would say #4 needs modifying. What you wrote is good IF what is keeping you from geting a CLI is a low FICO score. However, someone else may have a high FICO, but the low usage on the card might be what is preventing an increase.

You probably should say something about using the card around 15% - 45% but only let one of your cards report a small amount to the credit bureaus to optimize FICO score.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 38
Bman70
Established Contributor

I'm just going to use my Barclays like any other card. If they don't like how I use cards, I'd rather know sooner than later, so I can develop a relationship with a bank that suits me. I refuse to second guess my usage and try to guess what they want me to do. Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 12 of 38
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Two weeks ago I had a conversation with two different Barclays CSRs.  The issue was that I was not instantly approved for a Sallie Mae - rather I was given the option to move some of the CL that I had from my Arrival - to establish the Sallie Mae account.   "Barclays is not willing to extend you additional credit, but will approve you using the CL you already have," said one. 

The other was more specific, "Your highest reporting balance was only $3800."  Mind you, he did not care that I had run much more through the card- he was only concerned with what I allowed to report.  I told him that I was very careful to keep my total utilization below 10% -  Then he said something that made it clear to me what Barclays wants - and what was the opposite of what I have often read in credit forums, 'Barclays extends you credit, not to help you improve your credit score, but for you to use your credit line."   Who knows,  might have had a better chance of getting the SM if I had a history of letting 60% or so of my CL report.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 13 of 38
Bman70
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

Two weeks ago I had a conversation with two different Barclays CSRs.  The issue was that I was not instantly approved for a Sallie Mae - rather I was given the option to move some of the CL that I had from my Arrival - to establish the Sallie Mae account.   "Barclays is not willing to extend you additional credit, but will approve you using the CL you already have," said one. 

The other was more specific, "Your highest reporting balance was only $3800."  Mind you, he did not care that I had run much more through the card- he was only concerned with what I allowed to report.  I told him that I was very careful to keep my total utilization below 10% -  Then he said something that made it clear to me what Barclays wants - and what was the opposite of what I have often read in credit forums, 'Barclays extends you credit, not to help you improve your credit score, but for you to use your credit line."   Who knows,  might have had a better chance of getting the SM if I had a history of letting 60% or so of my CL report.

What was your credit line? If 3800 is 10% that must be a big one. It would make sense to split some of it off for a Sallie Mae if that's the case. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 14 of 38
EW800
Valued Contributor

I am planning on using my Barclay Card for fuel purchases and probably some groceries, then PIF every month.  Hopefully that will be enough for them to show me some love in six months.  Like someone said earlier, I won't change my charging habits just to make them happy, however hopefully this pattern will make them smile.  My CL is $7,000, however I will only be charging perhaps $350 a month or so.  They may not like that so much....  

Afterthought...  I hppe they do not lower my CL because i don't charge a ton....  Has anyone had experince with a good size CL with Barclay, but don't use more than maybe 5% of it?

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 15 of 38
Stralem
Established Contributor

Heavy usage.

Balance carrying.

Paying more than minimums.

Balance transfers from other cards.

People who do this tend to get the fat auto CLIs with Barclays (in my case, a nice $2K auto increase).

People who just park balances (no usage) or always pay in full (no interest?) don't get as much love. This has been well discussed.

But I don't think it's a good idea to change your spending habits just to get a credit line increase.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 16 of 38
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@changingmantra2 wrote:

What was your credit line? If 3800 is 10% that must be a big one. It would make sense to split some of it off for a Sallie Mae if that's the case. 

CL was $18,400 from having recently combined two cards -   I was talking about total untilization.   Interseting thing is that that $3800 was on a card with a signficantly lowere CL.  Who knows what they are "looking" for.  I just use it and pay - and I have gotten a CLI every six months on ever Barclasy card I have ever had.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 17 of 38
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

Yes I've heard many times that having a highest reporting balance isn't a factor in getting CLIs.  Seems like I'm not completely wrong afterall.  If I were an underwriter I too would be looking at the highest reporting balance has how much a user can potentially  utilize credit  that could earn me interest from carrying balances. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 18 of 38
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Heavy usage.

Balance carrying.

Paying more than minimums.

Balance transfers from other cards.

People who do this tend to get the fat auto CLIs with Barclays (in my case, a nice $2K auto increase).

People who just park balances (no usage) or always pay in full (no interest?) don't get as much love. This has been well discussed.

But I don't think it's a good idea to change your spending habits just to get a credit line increase.

... and I won't.

I got my Barclay card last September with a $1200 limit.  I bought an iPhone 5s, spent 3 months paying it off... then spent the next 3 months charging $100 and PIF.  I got a $1000 auto increase at statement #6 along with a letter thanking me for my responsible card usage.

The last 3 months I've used it the same way... $100 to $200 a month and PIF.

I am expecting another increase when the card hits 1 year old... and as someone else said, Barclay is like that girlfriend who is always checking your cellphone behind your back.  She loves you, but doesn't trust you.  That must be why they have SP my credit every month.

Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 19 of 38
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I got my Barclay card 3 months ago with a $650 CL, my 2nd lowest card, I called customer service who sent me to the  credit department who wouldn't approve an increase because the balances on my other cards were too high. I tried to explain the payments hadn't reported yet. This card had been offered to me pre-approved with an approval number as a visa signature card. I have been using the card and PIF. With that low of a limit that's the only way to pay.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.