Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I've learned about getting Synchrony CLIs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I've learned about getting Synchrony CLIs

I have three Synchrony bank cards. Two of them are credit cards one is a store card, and I've received at least a dozen increases in the year I've had them. I'll share some tips of mine that have almost always landed me a CLI.

The cards I have include the PayPal MC, Walmart MC, and the Amazon prime store card. All of them started at $1.5k or lower and they're now all $8k. For the Walmart MC & Amazon store card they both have something going for them, interest free promos. So I either call, or simply start up a live chat on each cards respective website and everytime I've asked for a $10K limit (they will always counter-offer). And I also make sure to tell them that I plan on using the card to finance a large purchase, and this is why you are asking for the increase. I feel that they're more likely to approve it when you tell them you're actually going to put use into the card. I've been declined without giving that reason, then immediately tried again through another CSR saying I need the extra credit for a large purchase and then been approved, maybe it was just luck of the draw. For the PayPal MC it's a little different since there's no financing and no chat option, but what i've noticed every time I've done a round of Synchrony CLIs, all of the cards seem to end up at the same limit. Most recently my Amazon received an auto CLI from 6K to 8K. I then immediately called on my Walmart CC, asked for the increase to $10k, and they came back with a max of $8k, accepted. I then called PayPal asked for $10k, immediately received $8k. They seem to have a max amount that their system will let them offer, and I'm not sure if it's income based, or based on my experience. 

TL;DR: If you're going to ask for a CLI on a store card / interest free card, tell them you need the increase because you are planning to make a large purchase to take advantage of the interest free offer. And if you receive a CLI on one card, you're likely to be eligible to receive the same increase on each of your Synchrony cards. And this is all pure speculation, but it's been pretty consistent behavior in my experience.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

Re: What I've learned about getting Synchrony CLIs

@Anonymous wrote:
...And I also make sure to tell them that I plan on using the card to finance a large purchase

With Sam's Club I point out that I'd like to take advantage of the 3% CB on airlines but the card's current limit isn't enough

for these international flight tickets I plan to purchase.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent reason! Have they always been pretty responsive to that request?

Message 3 of 8
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

They were the first time.  The second time I just hit the luv button...

Message 4 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the data points!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you guys make me feel lazy.  Smiley Happy    I don't put near as much energy, effort, or words into my request.  I don't give a story or nothing of the sorts.  I ask for what I want with no further explanation (no time for a song and dance).  Most times I've been given what I wanted, other times there were counters, and do this date can't recall a time where I've been flat out denied.  But with that being said, I don't hit them up for a increase very often either. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice feedback, much appreciated.  I'm looking to scoop up a Lowes card in the next month or so and plan on immediately asking for a CLI from whatever SL they give me.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

Wow, you guys make me feel lazy.  Smiley Happy    I don't put near as much energy, effort, or words into my request.  I don't give a story or nothing of the sorts.  I ask for what I want with no further explanation (no time for a song and dance).  Most times I've been given what I wanted, other times there were counters, and do this date can't recall a time where I've been flat out denied.  But with that being said, I don't hit them up for a increase very often either. 

The 751 TU FICO score will get you what you want with Synchrony every time. They place a lot of emphasis on your TU FICO score in decisioning CLI's. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.