cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is Backdating and how does it affect your credit?

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

What Is Backdating and how does it affect your credit?

Hello..

What does backdating mean and how does it affect ones fico or credit report?  I see alot of ref to it, but don't know what it is..

Thanks all..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: What Is Backdating and how does it affect your credit?

Backdating is a concept that is unique to Amex. Basically, for anyone who has held an Amex card in the past will have any new cards report to the credit bureau as if they were open in the same year as the first card. For example, I had my first Amex in 1984, when I opened new accounts in 2011 and 2012 they all report as open in 1984.

The advantage to backdating is with AAoA and potentially oldest TL.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 5
RSCo
Established Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

Backdating is a concept that is unique to Amex. Basically, for anyone who has held an Amex card in the past will have any new cards report to the credit bureau as if they were open in the same year as the first card. For example, I had my first Amex in 1984, when I opened new accounts in 2011 and 2012 they all report as open in 1984.

The advantage to backdating is with AAoA and potentially oldest TL.

WOW... Really.... That is awesome..  I was just approved for a new Amex yesterday after closing 2 others in 2005, they were opened in 1998..  So I should call them to see if they will backdate my new card to 1998?  That would be great if they did that..

Thanks for the info..

Message 3 of 5
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I would wait until you see what your member since date is on the card and on americanexpress.com. Sometimes the cards will have the current year but online will show the backdate.  The date online is the date that gets reported on your credit file.

If you do end up calling, don't call it backdate, mention that you want your member since date to be the same as your original card in 1998. The CSRs don't know what backdating means.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 5
RSCo
Established Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

I would wait until you see what your member since date is on the card and on americanexpress.com. Sometimes the cards will have the current year but online will show the backdate.  The date online is the date that gets reported on your credit file.

If you do end up calling, don't call it backdate, mention that you want your member since date to be the same as your original card in 1998. The CSRs don't know what backdating means.

Great idea.. Will wait to see what it is.. Thanks..

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.