Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is The Best AMEX Credit Card?

tag
FicoTron
Established Contributor

What Is The Best AMEX Credit Card?

Which AMEX credit card is best?  Not including the charge cards.  I am planning on applying in the near future and would like a card that is going to report my actual credit limit.  Or is it better to begin with a charge card to establish a relationship.  If anyone has any experience, it would be greatly appreciated...especially if you can explain the state of your credit (score, negatives, etc) when you applied...

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Is The Best AMEX Credit Card?

The answer depends pretty much on your monthly spending and your lifestyle. If you travel a lot, some of the higher tier charge cards might be interesting. If you don't travel much, the Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred seem to be the best ones. The second one is for the bigger spenders.

Message 2 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

I would start with a charge and build a relationship with them for about 1 year. AMEX will be very good to you if you're good to them.

After a year then you can try the Blue card or the likes.

FicoTron, what does your credit profile look like?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no one answer to this question as different cards are for different needs.

If you check out AMEX website, they have a link that helps you choose a card based on your preferences. They may recommend a few cards based on your answers, and then you can compare them.

I like the BCE or BCP. If you do a lot of spending for groceries and gas, then BCP is the way to go. If you do a lot of travel, then there are better cards for that.

Message 4 of 9
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

The best CC will be the CC that will match your needs IMHO. Amex offers a variety of cards. For Flyer miles/Hotel rewards - go with Amex SPG. For groceries, BCP...etc. The Platinum is great but AF is high too! Great if you want VIP when you travel. Etc.....

Message 5 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

As others have said, the BEST card will be the one that meets YOUR needs. 

That said, if you want "no frills" AMEX, consider the Clear credit card or the Zync charge card.  I have both, as I didn't want frills and wanted to re-establish a relationship with AMEX, so applied for both on the same day, and was approved for both.   These cards are not heavily marketed by AMEX, so when you go to their website, you have to really look for them.  They do offer rewards, just not as plentiful as their other cards. 

Message 6 of 9
FicoTron
Established Contributor

thanks for some of the feedback...my main part of the question I was looking to get answered was what everyones credit score looked like when they were either approved or denied a card. 

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 7 of 9
Guava
Established Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:

thanks for some of the feedback...my main part of the question I was looking to get answered was what everyones credit score looked like when they were either approved or denied a card

Go to whogavemecredit dot com, it's exactly what you're looking for and more

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoTron wrote:

thanks for some of the feedback...my main part of the question I was looking to get answered was what everyones credit score looked like when they were either approved or denied a card. 

It's not that simple ... sorry ...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.