Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is The Most Embarassing Thing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Is The Most Embarassing Thing

that has ever happened to you regarding your credit?

For me, before I filed BK way back in 1995, I had collectors from my mortgage company calling my neighbors!  I was mortified one evening when I came home from work and my neighbor Alisa in my condo, told me someone from Norwest Mortgage had called her looking for me!  Thankfully, all my other neighbors were at work but she was a stay-at-home mom and a friend. 

The other thing was that because of my bad credit at the time, my job wouldn't give me a Secret clearance.  The paperwork came back with "In adjudication" stamped on it.  To make matters worse, the stupid woman who was processing the paperwork at the job told people I couldn't get cleared because of my bad credit!  Oh yes, she was reprimanded but the damage had been done.  Very bad time in my life. Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Is The Most Embarassing Thing

BK
Message 2 of 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For me, before I filed BK way back in 1995, I had collectors from my mortgage company calling my neighbors! I was mortified one evening when I came home from work and my neighbor Alisa in my condo, told me someone from Norwest Mortgage had called her looking for me!

That don't sound legal to me. Not to say that that wouldn't be embarrassing, but if that happened to me I'd likely get far more angry then embarrassed.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

About a year ago, we missed a car payment and they called one of our references (a co-worker of hubby's) and told him to tell us to call them immediately. They did say who they were -- the collections department at our CU.

THAT was REALLY embarrassing!!!

But I think they were allowed to since we had put him down as a reference. Not sure on that one. :/
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
For me, before I filed BK way back in 1995, I had collectors from my mortgage company calling my neighbors! I was mortified one evening when I came home from work and my neighbor Alisa in my condo, told me someone from Norwest Mortgage had called her looking for me!

That don't sound legal to me. Not to say that that wouldn't be embarrassing, but if that happened to me I'd likely get far more angry then embarrassed.

Oh, I was totally furious!  When I contacted my lawyer he said it wasn't illegal for them to contact my neighbors to see if I still lived there.  But, they could not disclose any other information.  Since I wasn't answering their calls, they used Lexus-Nexus prob to look  up my neighbors.  But, once I filed BK, all that madness stopped because they couldn't contact me or anybody about me anymore.

Message 5 of 15
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I was declined for the purchase of a chicken biscuit at Bojangles ($2.33).  Smiley Sad
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 6 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@unknown_entity wrote:

I was declined for the purchase of a chicken biscuit at Bojangles ($2.33). Smiley Sad

Smiley Surprised

< respectful and sympathetic silence >

I was going to offer up some embarrassing phone conversation, but your experience wins, hands down.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 15
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I also had a call to the neighbor, from a creditor.  I was mortified and could not believe that they could do this.
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on a business trip in Toronto.  My coworker had made all the travel arrangements, so the hotel and rental car were in his name.  When we went to pick up the rental car, they asked if we would like to add me as an alternate driver.  "Sure," the coworker said.  All they would need was a credit card from me.

Oops.  I had no credit cards because my credit was bad, and I knew it, so I had never bothered to even apply for any.  As a result, my coworker had to do all the driving for the entire trip, and I had a quick wake up call to get my credit in order ASAP. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@unknown_entity wrote:

I was declined for the purchase of a chicken biscuit at Bojangles ($2.33). Smiley Sad

Smiley Surprised

< respectful and sympathetic silence >

I was going to offer up some embarrassing phone conversation, but your experience wins, hands down.

LOL, I already know...Smiley Tongue.  Needless to say, I quickly produced another card.  Funny thing is, it was an error by the clerk or something because there was plenty of room on the card. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.