cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Store Card approves with three months history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Store Card approves with three months history?

Witch store or gas cards will approve me with 3 months history. I don't have a FICO score yet because I have less than 6 months history.

I currently have:

BANK OF AMERICA(secured) - $300
CAP ONE - $500
CROWN JEWELERS - $2500
ORCHARD BANK - $300

Thanks in advance.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Justn on 08-08-2008 11:18 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Store Card approves with three months history?

you don't even have  a score til 6 months....
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's approved me with zero months history (2 days after I moved to the US - my credit history started the day I got my Macy's card, basically!) - only a $100 limit to begin with, but Macy's are great with CLIs - they'll give you one every 3 month if you treat the card well (ie give it the occasional bit of use and always pay on time), it doesn't take long to get a decent CL with them. I'd definitely give them a try! I think you have the best chance of being accepted if you're making a purchase instore at the time - that's what happened to me, I was buying kitchen stuff and talked into getting a card by the sales assistant. I thought there was no way I'd be approved with no credit (I didn't even have a social security number until a couple of weeks after that!!), but she said there'd be no problem... and she was right. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

You have a good mix of cards why not wait 6 months for those accounts to age and then apply for a store card such as Target or Walmart.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you want another store or gas card? Your Crown Jewelers account will give you all the points you need for revolving credit mix. You should let your accounts age and then make your next step finding a non-builder credit card. When BoA converts to unsecured you will have one such card, and Cap One may be okay, but I would make your next goal to be to get a rewards card in a year's time.

Goodluck!
Message 5 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

You can probably get a Target card with your current mix. They are a easier approval than most. They pull EQ normally.

However, you should let your current accounts age until the 6 month period before apping any more. This way you should have scores generated, and will probably be more likely to get a higher CL than you would have without any scores.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I agree with Fretless and the others. You'll have a much better range of choices when you let everything cook until at least six months old.

Don't get excited and load up with a bunch of low-limit cards that might actually hurt you in getting better cards. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if you still have that itchy trigger finger come November (when you hit 6 months), I am SURE that you will be able to find some retailer who is desperate for business in this economy who will give you one come holiday shopping season...........you know, the ol' "Everything you buy today is 15% off with a new store credit card!"....

Just be careful as Hauling says.   You probably don't need anymore than 1 or 2 more cards, and your next issue will be the relatively small CL's you have.   Got to get those CLI's.   Request one from each card when you hit 6 months, and then do it every 6 months afterwards.   Not all will give you one, but you definitely should ask.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks everyone. I'll try and wait till I hit the 6 month mark. I can't wait to have a real CC.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.