cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

in 1980 - a MC - don't even remember what bak (I know they have been bought out) with a $1500 limit....wonder if I can somehow reactivate THAT account???  LOL  No store cards for me then... by 1984 I had a Plat AmEX
Message 41 of 143
loubee
Regular Contributor

mine was a hfcu visa and its still hounding me today, back in 93

MIDNIGHT VOICE WHERE IN UK ARE YOU FROM, the reason I ask im from england
Message 42 of 143
dizzier
Established Contributor

you know, there is something i have always been wondering.

I got my first CC from Macy's when I was 16. They required a macy's CC in order for you to use the store discount. Now 16 is before the "age of majority". Does that mean that this CC technically is not legally binding?

It's in good standing, and I use it frequently with no problems, i'm just curious.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 43 of 143
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

BofA Visa, Amex, Express and Macy's in 1988. Only two are open now. Darnit. If I only knew then what I know now!
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 44 of 143
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Mine was the old infamous   Associates  Visa then bought out by Citi Bank.   I actually liked that card until I messed it up.
Message 45 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first year of college I filled out the application for a free tshirt.  I was approved for a Amoco gas card with a $50 limit.  I remember I could get a few tanks of gas on that $50 in 1997.  I still have the card which is now a Chase BP with a $5000 limit.  Has never been late by the way.

Message Edited by RGordon on 12-10-2007 01:46 PM
Message 46 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card was a First USA Visa with $500.00 limit.  Got it my freshman year of college in 1983.  Hardly ever used it as my father had warned me that it was just for emergencies...  (I went to school out of state and this was my emergency $).

Got my AMEX just after graduation in 1987.   Had a job, a diploma,  and a credit card.  Thought I was really grown up.  LOL  Life was grand.  Still have the card today.

Message 47 of 143
atldragon
Established Member

Associates Visa with a 500 dollar limit.  All my college buddies got the same card at the same time.  Since we were basketball players, we all went out and got new sneakers and warmups at the Mall. Only one of us had a car.
Message 48 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think it was a Sears, 80's era.
Message 49 of 143
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
This thread brings back memories. I still remember the days when you just handed your card to the cashier and they place the card in a metal machine that would imprint your card onto a triplicate carbon sales slip. They hardly ever called in to check on your card. Does anyone remember those old manual machines they used?

Absolutely! They made this great "crunch, crunch" sound. And a lot of store cards were different sizes from the usual. My mother had a Goldsmith's card that was as wide as a standard card, but only about 2/3 as tall.

After a while, the raised numbers on the cards would start to wear off, and you'd have to replace it, because the account number wouldn't go on the carbons properly.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 50 of 143
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.