cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

@fused wrote:
Wow, I have never heard of some of these cards. Key Bank? Stern's Dep't Store? Llyods Visa? Assocaite Visa? Montgomery Wards? Guess it's because I live in Hawaii. Does anyone know if these cards still exist?

Montgomery Wards used to be a giant department store, sort of one bump up from K-Mart, but not quite JCPenney's. They went blooie a few years back, but they seem to be some sort of online catalog company now. The Wards catalog was almost as good as the Sears catalog back in the day.

Stern's was a really nice department store that got swallowed up by someone. I think there was one in Memphis, but it wasn't local. Same thing happened to Goldsmith's --I think it's a Macy's now. It's whatever happened to Federated Stores.

My Proffitt's card was from a really nice local chain that is now a Belk's, I think.

Lloyds Visa? Maybe Lloyds of London?

Wow, this whole thread is almost a summary of what's happened to American retail in the last 30 years...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 51 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

Montgomery Wards   aka   Monkey Wards
Message 52 of 143
orl2185
Established Contributor

fused wrote:
Wow, I have never heard of some of these cards. Key Bank? Stern's Dep't Store? Llyods Visa? Assocaite Visa? Montgomery Wards? Guess it's because I live in Hawaii. Does anyone know if these cards still exist?

Stern's is part of Federated Stores and went out of business about 6 years back or so. Most of their stores were converted to macys stores. Started with 300 cl back in 89, closed cl in 9-99 when macys took over tl. Closing cl was 6000
Message 53 of 143
moonman
Frequent Contributor

what the heck that supposed to mean?

@Anonymous wrote:
Montgomery Wards aka Monkey Wards

Message 54 of 143
orl2185
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@fused wrote:

Montgomery Wards used to be a giant department store, sort of one bump up from K-Mart, but not quite JCPenney's. They went blooie a few years back, but they seem to be some sort of online catalog company now. The Wards catalog was almost as good as the Sears catalog back in the day.

Stern's was a really nice department store that got swallowed up by someone. I think there was one in Memphis, but it wasn't local. Same thing happened to Goldsmith's --I think it's a Macy's now. It's whatever happened to Federated Stores.

My Proffitt's card was from a really nice local chain that is now a Belk's, I think.

Lloyds Visa? Maybe Lloyds of London?

Wow, this whole thread is almost a summary of what's happened to American retail in the last 30 years...

You correct hauling about wards, retailer went bk some timeback. Had tl from 08-92, cl was 350.. shot up to 4500 when tl closed in 06-97. Now recently got magazine offer from their online site preappoved, went for it, got cc with 850 cl. I also got belk cc when I went down to fla back in 05/95 cl was 1500, shot up to 3500 in 06/99 when tl closed. Talking about going down credit memory lane.
Message 55 of 143
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@moonman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

nickname--I know that a lot of little kids couldn't say "Montgomery." I guess the current version is Tarzhay! (Target)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 56 of 143
moonman
Frequent Contributor

lol.....i guess that is why they went with wards in later years before going bankrupt.
Message 57 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was what we called it when we were kids. Going to the actual store was an adventure, they were huge, and this was before we had malls or large shopping centers.

@moonman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 58 of 143
moonman
Frequent Contributor

yess childhood was such a wonderful time and it can be an overwhelming experience going to those huge stores before they merged into malls.

@Anonymous wrote:
It was what we called it when we were kids. Going to the actual store was an adventure, they were huge, and this was before we had malls or large shopping centers.

moonman wrote: what the heck that supposed to mean?

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 59 of 143
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card was from "First Card".  That was he bank card branch of First Chicago Bank back in 1991.  That was also happened to be my 1st place of emplyment after college.  No, now that I think more about it, my 1st was an Amoco card that I had in college.

WBLAKE
Message 60 of 143
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.