Established Contributor

Re: What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

1997 with Key Bank MasterCard.  Ah yes, when my credit was so spotless it was non-existant.  They even were generous enough (since I had an account with them since I was a kid) to give me a $1500 limit to start.  Now my scores show my sad story on that once $8,000 limit in 2005.  Needless to say I no longer have it :smileysad:
FICO's: TU: 682 EX: 688 EQ: Unknown

In my wallet (strikethough are getting the axe soon): Amex Rewards Plus Gold | BECU: 10,000 | AlaskaUSA FCU: 6,900 | Citi Forward 6,500 | BOA Travel Rewards: 5,000 | US Bank Cash+: 5,000 | Merrick: 4,200 | Chase Freedom: 3,500 | Juniper: 3,100 | Household: 2,450 | Best Buy Reward Zone: 2,000 | Cap1: 1,500 | Cap1: 750 | Bailey's Furniture: 3,100 | Lowes: 4,500 | Care Credit: 2,000 | Zales: 1,400 | Kohls: 400 | Sam's: 5,200 | Walmart: 1,100 | Discover More: 1,000
Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

fillibert wrote:
I go way back.  I got my first card (Bank of America Visa) in 1979.  It had a whopping $150.00 CL.  I was 21 (giving away my age) at the time.  Most of us that grew up in the 60s and 70s did not have very much exposure to credit cards.  I remember my parents paid cash for everything, and if they didn't have the money, they simply didn't buy it!  They didn't get their first card (Sears) until the 70s after already being married for 30+ years, and they rarely ever used that card!  I wish I would've followed in their footsteps!!!

Well the opposite was true for me.  My parents were both heavy users of CCs when I grew up.  I remember my dad picking me up from school and whipping out his gold card to fly me away to San Antonio for a weekend of Disney on Parade and paddle boats.  Even got to sit in the cockpit on that flight.  My only regret is that our parents reallydidnt discuss money matters with us.  They had that magic card...lol!!!

I got mine (probably off their good credit name) and made th mistake that as long as I had a card I could buy what I wanted.  That was the only card I had that was maxed out and overlimit in my life.  Had to give up about three years of it, eating in the chow hall and staying in on party nights when I was in the Air Force to pay it off.:smileysad:

In the military, you used to be able to get into serious trouble for bad credit so you couldn't afford it, especially with a security clearance type job.  Never wanted another credit card:smileyvery-happy:

I learned after the fact that both my parents were PIFers.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-10-2007 08:04 AM
Established Contributor

fused wrote:
Mine was a regular Sears card (at least I think it was a regular card) back in 95'. My first purchase was a brand new Compaq desktop.

Back in 06-89 opened small tl from Sterns Dept Score. After few months got citi mc back in 01-90, then came amex green card in 06-90 citi denver broncos visa came in 07-90

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

Okay, had to join in:

Mine was Belk Lindseys in 1978,

I'd drive all over Florida looking for a Belk Lindsey store to shop!!! 

I even saved the statements, OMG!!
05/18/2009 myFico TU 754
07/06/2009 myFico EQ 760
11/19/2008 myFico EQ-635 TU 664 EX 669
Established Contributor

I can't remember the year, 1994 or something...Macy and Bloomingdales with $100 limits. Back then I thought I was cool. My spotless credit (non existant) had 2 new accounts to draw on. 13 years later I'm waiting for the chargeoffs to drop off my last report this month :smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Credit repair - the Ski Mask Way.
Established Contributor

discover student card then upgraded to plat card automatically
Senior Contributor

fused wrote:
Some of you may know this but this Sears card I got, well, it was the first of many defaults. So question could also be, what ever happened to your first card. Is it still open or closed? Or did you do like me?:smileysad:

My very, very, very first card was a Phillips 66 gas card, back in the old college days. Back then, ccc's would send cc's out without even an application of any kind. They got lists from colleges and just massed mailed them.

And yes, I defaulted on it. They closed it, put it into collections. At that time period in my life, I couldn't have cared less about credit. My how times have changed
"Never ever, ever be late. Never" (FUTR)
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
My first card was a Lloyds Visa, so far back that many of the Board members were not born  :smileyvery-happy:

And it was closed when I first came to live in the States for 2 years.  :smileyhappy:

My second was a Visa from an Ithaca Bank, closed when I left the States to go back to the UK

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 12-10-2007 09:17 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I have never heard of some of these cards. Key Bank? Stern's Dep't Store? Llyods Visa? Assocaite Visa? Montgomery Wards? Guess it's because I live in Hawaii. Does anyone know if these cards still exist?
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Regular Contributor

A Discover (don't remember if it was student or not) in the late 90's.  First and still favorite card- cash back, no ratejacking- on the contrary, it was easy for me to call and get a lower interest rate.  Finally got it back to where I can PIF, so I'm effectively making $20-40 each month off that card (negates the interest I'm still paying to BOA...)

Funny- I used to bank with SunTrust, but when they wouldn't give me (a college student!) any credit card at all, I dumped them for a local bank, and got the Discover.  SunTrust lost a gob of money on interest payments over these years...
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.