cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Will Card Companies Do - Spend Too Little?

tag
Brooks14
Valued Member

What Will Card Companies Do - Spend Too Little?

I am curious as to what will the credit card companies do if you NEVER spend a lot or close to the credit limit.

For example - I have an Amex BCE card that i just 62 dayed from $3700 to $11,000. However I will NEVER spend close to that. I raised the limit purely for the utilization factor. To be honest I prob only will spend $300-$500 a month on it and pay it off in full each month. That's not even close to $1,000 LET ALONE $11,000. That's spending only like 2% of my credit limit. And never carrying a balance since I pay in full each month.

So my question is what will they do?

Will they close the card?

Will they lower my limit?

Should I go back and lower my limit?

Or do they not care?

Amex BCE $11,000 / Amex Everyday $5,000 / Discover It $1,500 / Citi DP $2,500 / Citi TYP $2,000 / BoA Cash $3,000 /
Chase Freedom $1,000 / Chase CSP $7,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: What Will Card Companies Do - Spend Too Little?

@Brooks14 wrote:

I am curious as to what will the credit card companies do if you NEVER spend a lot or close to the credit limit.

For example - I have an Amex BCE card that i just 62 dayed from $3700 to $11,000. However I will NEVER spend close to that. I raised the limit purely for the utilization factor. To be honest I prob only will spend $300-$500 a month on it and pay it off in full each month.

So my question is what will they do?

Will they close the card?

Will they lower my limit?

Should I go back and lower my limit?

Or do they not care?

I will never spend anywhere near my BCE limit either, but I think as long as you use the card and limit responsibly, there will be no AA or anything else. I presume you mean will they CLD you since you are not using anywhere near the limit. I say no, but I may be totally wrong...lol. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Honestly I don't think I'll ever spend all of my limits 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
Brooks14
Valued Member

I'm not so concerned with spending the entire limit. More the fact I am only spending on average $400 a month on an $11,000 credit card. I heard they can close your account or decrease your limit. I'm nowhere near 5% of my credit limit each month. Just a little nervous.

Amex BCE $11,000 / Amex Everyday $5,000 / Discover It $1,500 / Citi DP $2,500 / Citi TYP $2,000 / BoA Cash $3,000 /
Chase Freedom $1,000 / Chase CSP $7,000
Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

No need to worry I don't think most of us do 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

No need to worry I don't think most of us do 

+1. I doubt I spend over 20% of my limits ever. And I don't generally let them report a balance.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Brooks14 wrote:

I'm not so concerned with spending the entire limit. More the fact I am only spending on average $400 a month on an $11,000 credit card. I heard they can close your account or decrease your limit. I'm nowhere near 5% of my credit limit each month. Just a little nervous.

On my BCP I have been doing this for a year now and always spent pretty much the same amount (approx 500$/mo) ..started with a 5K limit - asked for 10K at 61 day mark..still same low spending and then could not resist in trying the 25K CLI and still use a tiny charge every month and Amex approved even this CLI. Two days ago requested a APR reduction  and even this Amex approved with my low spending. On the other hand I spend the full CL on Discover and have tried to CLI  at 6, 9  and 1 year mark and to my surprise declined each time. Just yesterday I tried to lower APR and what a surprise Discover declined that as well. Both cards Amex and Discover I got in the same month...example how 1 card can grow and the other is only good to SD.  I use all of my cards regularly but other than Discover I do not spend anywhere near the CL. Even Cap1 doubled my CL with very low spending......maybe low spending will wake up Discover Smiley Tongue   I will now try it and only use it for the 5% categories and might use another card in combination with ShopDiscover if they do not want my business. 

Message 7 of 8
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I have my Amex BCE tied to my itunes account, maybe spend $10 a month on it with a 8.5k limit. 

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.