Did you mean: 

What Would You Do?

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Call chase and see if you can pay them the $150.  Then apply with them, tons of free money out there to be had with chase.... CSP 70k in branch, CSR 100k, the list goes on....

This was an option. However I know it would not neccssarly increase my chances of approval.

I will say: don't go with Chase right now. You have low limits on your current cards, it will be hard for Chase to approve you with a high limit (5K CSP, 10K CSR). If you request a CLI it will be HP.

I think:

- have you tried to increase your Discover limit? Ask for increase every month 3 days after your statement close.

- have you tried the Amex pre-qual? They are offering $100 statement credit on $1,000 purchases for 3 months and 10% back on Amazon for the next 6 months (up to $200 cashback), or $150 statement credit on $500 purchases and same Amazon on BCE. BCP offer is $100 extra. 777 is a very good score to get Amex. The card grows fast with SP CLI.

- have you tried the Cap1 pre-qual site?

If you want 2 more cards go with Amex first then Cap1.

If you want to try for Chase (I still say you should wait), try it after the Amex.

Good luck and please report back.

Message 11 of 33
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for insight on the order I should apply. It was my goal to apply for the Amex first. Thinking about applying for the Chase ellicits some anxiety within me as I am not sure if i'm blacklisted. I see how taking the chance on Chase before Capital One would be wise considering the 3 hard pulls. If I were to go with chase, I'd have to figure out if the freedon or freedon unlimited better suits my spending.

Freedom Unlimited is a 1.5% cashback/UR points card. If you want the QS, also a 1.5% card, it doesn't make much sense getting both.

I'm against Chase, for now. Once you have cards with better limits, then try Chase.

You can increase your Discover trying each month for SP CLI, that will not hurt your score.

You can increase an Amex every 6 months up to 3X the limit with SP CLI. *first try is before 6 months, some people wait 2 months others 3 statements.

You can increase Cap1 QS every 6 months with SP CLI.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chex Amex and Other pre-Qual sites.

I'd do Amex and Chase or Amex and citi...
or pick a good credit union. Either Penfed, Navy, or a good local one you would benefit from using.

Gl-And congrats on the will power!!! With a score in the upper 700's it would be so hard for many of us to not App. Smiley Happy
You seriously deserve some props for that.
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Call chase and see if you can pay them the $150.  Then apply with them, tons of free money out there to be had with chase.... CSP 70k in branch, CSR 100k, the list goes on....

This was an option. However I know it would not neccssarly increase my chances of approval.

I will say: don't go with Chase right now. You have low limits on your current cards, it will be hard for Chase to approve you with a high limit (5K CSP, 10K CSR). If you request a CLI it will be HP.

I think:

- have you tried to increase your Discover limit? Ask for increase every month 3 days after your statement close.

- have you tried the Amex pre-qual? They are offering $100 statement credit on $1,000 purchases for 3 months and 10% back on Amazon for the next 6 months (up to $200 cashback), or $150 statement credit on $500 purchases and same Amazon on BCE. BCP offer is $100 extra. 777 is a very good score to get Amex. The card grows fast with SP CLI.

- have you tried the Cap1 pre-qual site?

If you want 2 more cards go with Amex first then Cap1.

If you want to try for Chase (I still say you should wait), try it after the Amex.

Good luck and please report back.

I'm due for a credit limit increase with Discover next week. I intent to ask for it then. I don't have any Amex prequals and never have unfortunately. I have tried the prequals for Captial one and I have one for the Quicksilver Visa, a little tipbit I forgot to mention.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

or pick a good credit union. Either Penfed, Navy, or a good local one you would benefit from using.

Gl-And congrats on the will power!!! With a score in the upper 700's it would be so hard for many of us to not App. Smiley Happy

Thanks! I have considered Citi, the DC to be exact but from reading these forums I have come to realize their starting limits aren't so great. 

Message 15 of 33
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm due for a credit limit increase with Discover next week. I intent to ask for it then. I don't have any Amex prequals and never have unfortunately. I have tried the prequals for Captial one and I have one for the Quicksilver Visa, a little tipbit I forgot to mention.

Good luck with your Discover CLI, it wil not report to the bureaus until the statement close, so that will not help you in the next few weeks (the lenders see that you have a higher limit).

Your QS pre-qual list a high APR or mid/low one? From reports people get better SL when the APR is mid/low, compared with your current limits. I got a Venture with 15K and my highest limit at that time was 6K, the APR on pre-qual site was the lowest they offer.

I think you could get a 3K card or more, both Amex and QS.

Message 16 of 33
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX pre-quals seem to be broken for the most part.  I never got any either for the past couple of years but, cold apped them and got approved instantly for $10K.  Don't base decisions off pre-quals.  Get the card you want and just do it!

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I would suggest.

If you are blacklisted with Chase, they SHOULD (should) deny you before doing a HP.

The Cap 1 triple pull is much scarier than it sounds.  It's only one pull per CR.  If you have zero (seems likely) or a few HPs, it's not even noticable. Anyone else pulling your CR will only see 1 HP from Cap 1.

I am a HUGE fan of Penfed.  I would highly recommend them.

And don't ignore Discover.  They SP for CLIs, and will let you know (and give you the option to opt out) if they want to do a HP.  My Disc grew from $1k to $3.5k with just SPs over less than three years (and if I had known about myFICO when I got the card, I would surely have a much higher CL), and with the OPs great scores, I can't see not getting a CLI from them.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck with your Discover CLI, it wil not report to the bureaus until the statement close, so that will not help you in the next few weeks (the lenders see that you have a higher limit).

Your QS pre-qual list a high APR or mid/low one? From reports people get better SL when the APR is mid/low, compared with your current limits. I got a Venture with 15K and my highest limit at that time was 6K, the APR on pre-qual site was the lowest they offer.

I think you could get a 3K card or more, both Amex and QS.

The prequal for the Quicksilver has an variable APR of 18.24 after the introductory period.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I would suggest.

If you are blacklisted with Chase, they SHOULD (should) deny you before doing a HP.

The Cap 1 triple pull is much scarier than it sounds.  It's only one pull per CR.  If you have zero (seems likely) or a few HPs, it's not even noticable. Anyone else pulling your CR will only see 1 HP from Cap 1.

I am a HUGE fan of Penfed.  I would highly recommend them.

And don't ignore Discover.  They SP for CLIs, and will let you know (and give you the option to opt out) if they want to do a HP.  My Disc grew from $1k to $3.5k with just SPs over less than three years (and if I had known about myFICO when I got the card, I would surely have a much higher CL), and with the OPs great scores, I can't see not getting a CLI from them.

I didn't know there would not be a hard pull if I was indeed blacklisted. That is something to think about. Can anyone second this?

I have seen all the talk about Penfed on these forums,but Inahve never considered them before. Maybe I'll give them a look-see.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.