Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a year. American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a year. American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card

Hello all,

Around a year ago i started the journey of rebuilding and what a hard year it's been. It hit home when i finally took the courage to review my reports.....470s across the board.
12 months on and im sitting with 664-Eq 672-Tu 666-Ex. Today i finally have a sense of accomplishment with a approval for AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card. Just curious if anyone has experience with card and willing to offer tips
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: What a year. American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Around a year ago i started the journey of rebuilding and what a hard year it's been. It hit home when i finally took the courage to review my reports.....470s across the board.
12 months on and im sitting with 664-Eq 672-Tu 666-Ex. Today i finally have a sense of accomplishment with a approval for AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card. Just curious if anyone has experience with card and willing to offer tips

I had the card it was a bit meh for me because I had EDP as well and there are some overlapping categories, so i didn't use the PRG that much, I did use PRG, airline credit to pay for some of the fuel surcharges and random stuff when I used AA miles to fly CX from BKK-JFK in Feb 2016. If it is your only amex card will you use as your only CC?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously the flight rewards stand out to me but a little unsure if it should be a daily card. First ever amex so hopefully you understand my uncertainty. It appears to be just ok in all departments but no great
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied and got approved for both the PRG and ED yesterday. Mainly because of the sign-up bonus. Since the PRG's AF is waived the first year, I figure I'll see how the experience goes and if it's worth the AF. If not, my plan is to close the PRG and just continue to use the ED (no AF) for the points.

I dine out a lot so I'll be taking advantage of the PRG's 2x points at US restaurants and the airline credit at least. I'm interested to learn more about others' experiences with the card as well.

Message 4 of 7
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Congrats on your approval.

I like being able to buy tickets to popular events before they go on sale to the general public. I have not yet used the preferred seating benefit, but I will probably try it out soon. Of course I like the airline fee credit. I fly Southwest, so I use it to pay for ticket taxes and early bird check-in.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PRG is my #1 "go to" everyday card. I use it for EVERYTHING with the exception of my mortgage, car payments and Costco purchases (As of April 2016) and the very very very few merchants that don't take AmEx (which i usually stop going to once i find out they don't). Anything else you can think of gets charged to this card. The benefits and advantages are all over the site and these forums, but some of my pros are:

Point system works great with how me and my family spend.

Use the points for gift cards to restaurants, movies and other things often.

Discounts/Rebates on purchases and spending from the "Offers" promotion (Ex. Spend $100 at Ruth's Chris, get $20 credit)

Purchase Protection - We have had numerous items from Tupperware to motorcycle batteries, sunglasses to our Keurig replaced out of warranty or damaged

We have even gotten credited for items we wanted to return but the merchant wouldnt take it back.

We charged everything on here and PIF monthly. I recommend it.

Message 6 of 7
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

The PRG has nice perks and so does the EDP. You can always PC to another AMEX if the fee doesn't add up for you in a year.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.