Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about Barclay's???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about Barclay's???

I'm looking to add one more major credit card and to have something other then Cap One accts. I've had a Cap One platinum CL $500 for 9 years that I can't seem to get an increase on, but yet they just approved me recently for a Quicksilver One CL $1000. I figured that Barclays might be my next option. I was thinking about trying for the Apple Rewards card. My scores are TU 632 EX 636 EQ 605. I only have 2 inquiries on TU, which is what I think they pull. Is worth a shot with those scores? Should I try for a different Barclays? NFL points or their Rewards? Is one easier than the other??

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What about Barclay's???

I have heard the Apple one is easier. Personally though I'd go for the Rewards as it's more versatile. That's the one I got and I got a $2k SL. My scores were around 670-680 TU though with only a couple of inq.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 32
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I was approved with a similar score on the low 600 2 years ago, for the rewards mc. CL was 1300, it recently went to $2600 with an auto CLI.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 32
Bpearl2010
Regular Contributor

So far I'm really liking my Barclay Rewards card, I've already put 1k through the card, and just PIF. I've only had the card for one week. lol

At time of approval: TU: 639, but I had to recon.

Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never tried reconning before....I wouldn't even know what to say once I got them on the phone.  That worries me a bit. Maybe I should wait and see if I can get my scores up.  My plan was to sock drawer my cap one platinum because I think it's one of those accounts they will never increase.  And I wanted to get in with another bank besides cap one.

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I took a gamble and app' for it.  I got the ...unfortunately we can't provide you with an immediate decision....then went on to say up to 10 days.

That sounds like a denial :-(

Message 6 of 32
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Lookup the backdoor number and call them. 

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I took a gamble and app' for it.  I got the ...unfortunately we can't provide you with an immediate decision....then went on to say up to 10 days.

I got the same message and my score was 640 tu at the time with quite a few inquiries and it ended up getting approved with a 1900 CL. I havent had an increase yet and I have had it since october but at least I got it. Its my main card. I use it and PIF regularly with multiple payments throughout the month. I earn at least 25 per month which is pretty cool. 

Message 8 of 32
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Give the recon line a jingle and don't be nervous.  Just ask them to look at your application.  The analyst will ask you some questions about your job, income, potentially other cards you have an how you use them, etc.  Barclay's is known to have one of the most accomodating recon departments.  That's how I got my Sallie Mae.

Message 9 of 32
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I was reading this about to reply to wait.. Sorry I didn't see earlier. Definitely call them and recon. No need to be nervous or scared of the analysts. Credit analysts are just normal people. Honestly the fact that you're calling in directly to them puts you way ahead. Be ready to possibly answer any questions about income, your work, past credit issues, current balances, etc. They're almost always really nice. Just call. Smiley Happy 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.