cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I missing about the Chase combo?

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

What am I missing about the Chase combo?

I have three Chase cards: Freedom, FU and CSP.  When I go online and check the travel portal to get the 25% bonus on my UR points I come away dejected.  I find better deals from companies that aren't available through the portal, through my other cards or just by using cash.  What am I missing?  The only time I've been able to use them for travel was a 1:1 transfer to Southwest.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What am I missing about the Chase combo?

You're not missing anything. I don't even understand why this question is here. Looks like you figured it out. The best use of your points (in most cases) is to transfer to partners. It's common knowledge.

Message 2 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Forget the portal.  Transfer your miles to United, Southwest, Air France (for Delta), or British Airways (for American).

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The soda? Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The combo is to help you maximize your UR earnings with regards to your spend. Essentially, you take advantage of the quarterly categories on the Freedom, dining/travel on the CSP and everything else on the FU. How your points are spent are best used for transfers as the other posts point out.

Message 5 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The portal is essentially the same as other travel portals (Kayak, Expedia, etc.), no better no worse for availability and pricing.  With CSP you're essentially getting 1.25 cents per point toward a purchase there.  As others stated, the key to the Chase UR trio is to transfer your UR points to your preferred rewards program for far more value.  My choice is personally Marriott, and I'm averaging over 2 cents of value per UR point this year.

Message 6 of 12
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

It seemed everyone was talking about using the portal to get the 25% bonus but I haven't found anything on the portal that is a better deal than I can get elsewhere even if you include the 25%.  Good to know.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 7 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

It seemed everyone was talking about using the portal to get the 25% bonus but I haven't found anything on the portal that is a better deal than I can get elsewhere even if you include the 25%.  Good to know.

The Chase portal (a lot of portals for that matter) is there probably more for comfort's sake for customers. They see that extra 25% they can get for their points when transferring and think it's a good deal when it's really not as you discovered.

Message 8 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Forget the portal.  Transfer your miles to United, Southwest, Air France (for Delta), or British Airways (for American).

just would note sometimes its better for Ke for delta especially if you are an east coaster trying to get to hawaii 25k RT is quite nice if you can find availability that is :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently booked a United flight through the Chase portal because it was a better deal and I see better deals through the portal all the time.  The flight through United was $300 round trip, or 50K miles.  The same itinerary through the Chase portal was $253 or just under 17K UR points (I get 50% additional value on UR points booking through Chase).  I don't feel like transferring points at 1:1 to another travel partner is always a better deal, many times not.  I must be the one missing something. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.