Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I waiting for?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What am I waiting for?

Just leave your discover account alone. It will graduate. I opened my discover card as a student card in 1999 and its still open with a 5k limit now.

If I were you I would pass on the Barclay's card. You could probably get a zync and chase amazon with your profile. App for the the chase card first; then the zync.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 19
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1
I agree. Based on what you've said, I'd also app the Zync but instead of the Amazon, I'd app the Freedom with the $100 cash back offer. Barclays iTunes card rewards aren't really all that great. So it's totally a matter of preference there. If you think you will give it some good usage and rewards then I say go for it. Amex will pull Ex- Chase is a toss up but I suspect either EX or EQ. Barclays will hit up TU. If you are lucky- you'll end up with only one pull across all 3 CRAs. Please let us know what you do. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 19
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Forgot!  Smiley Happy.   No matter what CLs you get with Chase and Barclays, recon the CLs for a higher one if you are approved.  All they can say is "no" but I think you will have success wth it.  Good Luck!

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a big fan or rotating catagories and I make most of my retail non clothing purchases on amazon so for me amazon > freedom. Both cards are good Smiley Happy freedom sign on bonus is nice. It will be 12 months before you can product change so keep that in mind. Either card is good Smiley Happy your needs will determine which one you should apply for.
FICO 9:

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'm for sure apping for the Zync.

I was considering the Amazon Visa, but you can't PC that later on, and I think the Freedom is a much better choice long term (I fully expect to keep it for the foreseeable future).

I was also thinking about possibly a Citi card instead of the Apple Visa, as again I think it would give me more freedom in the future and would be something to build with for a while.

Is it worth PCing my More card to the new it card?  Can they actually deny you for a PC? I've been with them over a year, PIF every month and run quite a bit through them.  That would also probably take the student tag off me.  I don't know, still thinking on this one.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Message 15 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I'm for sure apping for the Zync.

I was considering the Amazon Visa, but you can't PC that later on, and I think the Freedom is a much better choice long term (I fully expect to keep it for the foreseeable future).

I was also thinking about possibly a Citi card instead of the Apple Visa, as again I think it would give me more freedom in the future and would be something to build with for a while.

Is it worth PCing my More card to the new it card?  Can they actually deny you for a PC? I've been with them over a year, PIF every month and run quite a bit through them.  That would also probably take the student tag off me.  I don't know, still thinking on this one.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Its worth a call to see if Discover can PC you to the IT card. IT can be done over the phone or via their live chat.

FICO 9:

Message 16 of 19
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I actually was going to recommend a Citi card.  Question is, do you want a good no frills card to carry a balance if need be or a rewards card?  I like the Diamond Preferred card for financing.  If not then maybe the Forward or Thank You cards.  I do think that it might be a better card to get then the Barclays card but also harder.  With the Barclays app, you can immediately recon for a higher limit.  Best bet for Citi would be the DP / Forward/ or Simplicity.  All have as far as I can tell lower approval criteria.  Definitely try to PC the Discover to IT.  Will move you from student card status if approved.  Keep in mind, apping Citi will most likely be another EX pull.  This could result in 3 HPs to EX with Amex, Chase and Citi apps.  Just something to consider.  What are you waiting for?  Smiley Happy. Go for it.  Best of Luck!  Me, I'd app the Amex Zync, then Chase Freedom then Barclays Rewards MasterCard card.  Sorry about formatting- on iPhone.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be more interested in rewards cards than special financing offers.  I only buy what I can pay off in full, so I never carry a balance.

I thought it would be better to app for the Chase Freedom before the Zync, isn't Chase a lot more inquiry sensitive than AMEX?  Either way it will be at most 1 inquiry, since I currently have no inquiries on any of my reports.

For the Citi card, which do you think is the best in terms of rewards (cash back) and also criteria to get approved?  Citi would be last out of my 3 apps either way.

Message 18 of 19
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be more interested in rewards cards than special financing offers.  I only buy what I can pay off in full, so I never carry a balance.

I thought it would be better to app for the Chase Freedom before the Zync, isn't Chase a lot more inquiry sensitive than AMEX?  Either way it will be at most 1 inquiry, since I currently have no inquiries on any of my reports.

For the Citi card, which do you think is the best in terms of rewards (cash back) and also criteria to get approved?  Citi would be last out of my 3 apps either way.

Well, If you don't want a card to revolve a balance with every once in a while, then really, the only card I would recommend with your current file would be the Forward card. Seems to have the lowest approval criteria but again I reiterate, Citi is not easy with thin files.  I know you don't want student cards, but those would be easy for you to get in with Citi.  I like Citi because most of the time, the CLIs are SPs.  (not a guarantee)  With regards to which card to app first, like Webhopper, I agree with the Freedom first then Zync.  Smiley Happy  Still stick by my recommendation:  Freedom, Zync then Barclays Rewards MasterCard card.  Best bets IMHO.  You will most likely be denied for the Barclays card but with recon, I think you will be able to make your case for approval. (fingers crossed)

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.