cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Signature Credit Cards and How do you get one?

tag
JMills
Frequent Contributor

What are Signature Credit Cards and How do you get one?

Hello Everybody, its been awhile since I have been on here, but read some threads and Iam reading about signature credit cards, what I want to know, what are they? Are they a very special card? What are the credit scores they are looking for if I wanted to get one.

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are Signature Credit Cards and How do you get one?

Do you mean Visa Signature?

Message 2 of 21
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Anything that has a a signature, so yes a visa signature or even a mastercard signature

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 3 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JMills wrote:

Anything that has a a signature, so yes a visa signature or even a mastercard signature

There is Visa Signature and Mastercard World, and Mastercard World Elite.

They each have some additional benefits which may or may not be useful.   Nothing unusual about them now, some issuers still insist on a minimum $5K CL (which is nothing special for those not rebuilding or just starting) but many will give signature/world/world elite at lower levels too.    

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are awesome ! lol

Message 5 of 21
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@JMills wrote:

Hello Everybody, its been awhile since I have been on here, but read some threads and Iam reading about signature credit cards, what I want to know, what are they? Are they a very special card? What are the credit scores they are looking for if I wanted to get one.

Visa Signature card, main feature that makes them popular is the NPSL feature, you have a limit, but you may exceed if needed each creditor, has an internal limit on your account  and you will be allowed to exceed your normal limit up to your internal limit. Some Signature cards have an internal limit that is 2x your normal CL (JP Morgan Cards), if you exceed your normal limit the amount above your normal limit is due on your following statement. If your normal limit is 10,000, you may be able to charge upto 11000 without charges being denied, and then on your next statement your minimum payment will be   $1000 + normal minimum payment on $10,000.  

there are also other features that come along with  visa signature cards concierge, extended warranty, etc.. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 21
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@JMills wrote:

Visa Signature card, main feature that makes them popular is the NPSL feature, you have a limit, but you may exceed if needed each creditor, has an internal limit on your account  and you will be allowed to exceed your normal limit up to your internal limit. Some Signature cards have an internal limit that is 2x your normal CL (JP Morgan Cards), if you exceed your normal limit the amount above your normal limit is due on your following statement. If your normal limit is 10,000, you may be able to charge upto 11000 without charges being denied, and then on your next statement your minimum payment will be   $1000 + normal minimum payment on $10,000.  

there are also other features that come along with  visa signature cards concierge, extended warranty, etc.. 

How would a card report if the limit is exceded? Does it report like a charge card or just a maxed out credit card

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa Signature definitely does NOT automatically mean NPSL - that must be a specific card the last person posting mentioned.

The Signature is a designation credit card companies are allowed to offer on some of their Visa cards that allows users to receive Visa's "top-level" features - namely, concierge service.

I am not sure if it also means other benefits - such as improved rental car insurance, etc, but you can go to Visa's site directly and look at the different card levels and the features that you get if you get any Signature card.

Message 8 of 21
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@JMills wrote:

How would a card report if the limit is exceded? Does it report like a charge card or just a maxed out credit card

it reports the HighBalance and a Credit Limit or a notation that High Balance is the Limit... it can be bad for your report depending on how the lender reports, but under manual review it will be dismissed as a signature card.  Your score may take a small hit but I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens a lot you may want to consider a full fledged charge card if you are concerned with your score. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Visa Signature definitely does NOT automatically mean NPSL - that must be a specific card the last person posting mentioned.

The Signature is a designation credit card companies are allowed to offer on some of their Visa cards that allows users to receive Visa's "top-level" features - namely, concierge service.

I am not sure if it also means other benefits - such as improved rental car insurance, etc, but you can go to Visa's site directly and look at the different card levels and the features that you get if you get any Signature card.

The standard benefits are listed at https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp

And NPSL is indeed one of them.  

Note:  Explore the list of Visa Signature benefits that may be available on your Visa Signature card. Please check with your issuer to see which of the following benefits applies to your card.

So not every card has to have them all, but most do.   In addition, some of these benefits are provided by some issuers on Platinum cards.    It really doesn't mean all that much IMO, just marketing.  But successful, most people here really want to get the "best" level available.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.