tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are my chances....Navy Federal

Curent Fico 8 via Credit Check Total

623 Experian

626 Equifax

628 Transunion

I'm considering opening an account with Navy Federal via the Navy League San Diego, just wondering if you guys think I have a chance of acceptance with my current scores.

Also, I would like to apply for one of the Rewards CC some time soon. Any advice would be helpful.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are my chances....Navy Federal

Is your question regarding your chances of obtaining a membership? You'll be fine.

Your scores are obviously rather low, but it would depend on *why* they're low as to whether or not you'll get approved for a credit product.

Message 2 of 10
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curent Fico 8 via Credit Check Total

623 Experian

626 Equifax

628 Transunion

I'm considering opening an account with Navy Federal via the Navy League San Diego, just wondering if you guys think I have a chance of acceptance with my current scores.

Also, I would like to apply for one of the Rewards CC some time soon. Any advice would be helpful.

NFCU is one of the more generous CU's out there. As mentioned your scores are a bit on the lower side, but i've seen lower scores get great results. I do know when scores are in that range recent activity can have an influence (items like 'time since last late entry, time since most recent deragatory account, time since last application and new accounts). NFCU tends to operate in 6 month windows so if no crazy action has happened in the last 6 months, your chances are improved. as your scores increase the 6 month window becomes secondary. Are the scores in that range because of a thin file (but its clean), or are there baddies lingering around (if so, are they paid or unpaid). for folks with scores in your range credit cards tend to be offered in the $1,500 to $4,000 space. the underwriting is similar for all their cards, but the cashRewards visa tends to be the easiest, then nrewards, then flagship. NFCU is great about allowing product changes so get your foot in the door and 6-10months later you'll be able to upgrade the card if you're wanting a different one. not sure if this answers your question, but hopefully you can use something from it..good luck!

Message 3 of 10
nmjacobs
Contributor

I got a cash rewards in December for $2100. My scores were about EX 595 EQ 625 TU 645. They pulled EQ which has three unpaid collections. Go for it!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are Great!! Thanks for the encouragement.... I sent my membership application over to NFCU via email this morning.
My scores are low due to several lates on my student loans. I'm now on track and haven't hand any lates in the last six months. I also have high utilization on my cc's no lates... right now I'm working on paying those down and will apply for the NFCU cc in a few weeks or so.
Message 5 of 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Definitely wait until you pay down balances , while navy is way more generous than most , they get very ify when it comes to higher utilization. But other than that I think you would do well . Good luck keep us posted
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Search the "credit pulls database" for the card you are considering so you can see the scores/profile info of people that have been approved and/or denied for the card you are considering.

Any time someone asks about their chances of approval for a card or whether or not they should apply, 99% of the time my advice is to WAIT.  If you read this thread I started once, I'll explain why:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Should-I-app-for-Would-I-get-approved-for-t...

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had scores similar to yours when I applied at NFCU. No lates but an 18mo old BK. I was approved for membership, a cashRewards card but not the Navcheck. Be advised, I took 4 HPs to get that.

Message 8 of 10
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@Star3,

Any update on if you applied and were approved for credit cards by Navy? I'm curious?

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 9 of 10
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Work on your current balances. It helps having it as low as you can. Also, comb your reports for any mistakes. No need for baddies that aren't yours to hold you back.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.