Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances for Discover??

tag
jmco
Contributor

Question.....if I was pre approved for discover what are the chances a final approval will happen especially when I had discover charge offs in 2008 that were since paid/settled in 2010...don't want to waste a HP 

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jmco wrote:

Question.....if I was pre approved for discover what are the chances a final approval will happen especially when I had discover charge offs in 2008 that were since paid/settled in 2010...don't want to waste a HP 

Shouldn't be an issue to my knowledge.  Discover is very generous with giving people second chances from what I've read here anecdotally, including to folks that had chargeoffs that were never resolved. 

For others to chime in, I'll request this get moved to a seperate thread.

        
Message 2 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: What are my chances for Discover??

"OP, I split your post to form a new one here. I had to edit the title, but changed nothing else. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you got Pre-Approved I have not seen that not be an instant approval! DO IT!

Message 4 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

depends on your score, I'd say... I wouldn't do it if you aren't at least at 620 or so.. even then... idk...

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 10
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

We have almost the same scenario.. Charge off in 2008 and paid in 2010... I dont know how much your debt with them was, but mine was $573. My score was 663, it was a TU pull from them,  AAOA was 4 years, declined due to previous account status.

Hopefully yours will be different. Im opted out, so I dont get pre-approvals. That sounds like a good thing to me though. Id try it!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 6 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Pre approval is most certainly not a guaranteed approval. It's strictly YMMV.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Pre approval is most certainly not a guaranteed approval. It's strictly YMMV.

+1 - you score seems a bit low to me for a Discover. I would think twice about this - even with your pre-approval!

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 10
jmco
Contributor

thanks for putting this in it's own thread - sorry about making that mistake!

and thanks to everyone else for the input.. I am going to wait a while and continue to work on the reports to clear stuff up before going that route... don't want to waste a HR!

Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Is your current score really 561?

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.