Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances....playing if safe

tag
getahead
Regular Contributor

What are my chances....playing if safe

I received a pre approval letter for the Costco Amex TE, but my scores are currently TU 644 & EQ 640.  Do they send out pre approvals based on those low scores?  I really want to get this card, so I paid down my 3 credit cards to about 20% Utl, I have 2 30 lates back in 2009.  My expiration date for the offer is 1/17/12, I'm planning to pay more down on my cards before the next statement date to bring it down to 5% utl. which my scores will boost up, I'm hoping.

What are my chances, I heard this is a pretty hard card to get & what bureau do they pull from?

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: What are my chances....playing if safe

Same card I'm interested in. Good Luck. Amex usually pulls EX. They may also pull Teletrack as a supplement. What is your AAoA on your CCs?
Message 2 of 9
getahead
Regular Contributor

only about 5.5years, why would they send me a pre approval with my low scores, should I even try?

Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690

Message 3 of 9
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Not sure. Have you gone to Amex's site and checked for pre-approvals there? If you have two pre-approvals, it's a better sign.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with -Cain-, however do you really need the card soon? If not, I would recommend a little "shrub" (improving your CR) detail and then applying before the offer expires.

Also, on another note if you want to BT your Amex accounts then it would be in your best interest to actually apply before the end of the 2011 year. Since, it would actually add a potential year to any BTed Amex card, given you decide to BT is on Jan Smiley Happy

Keeps us informed.
Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Make sure you apply in store if you are going to go for it.

Message 6 of 9
getahead
Regular Contributor

Hey Creditaddict, is my chances higher if app'ng in the store?

Message 7 of 9
getahead
Regular Contributor

Hi GBPac12, that's my plan, I'm shrubbing & paid down alot of my cards so when the cc companies report by the end of this month it should boost up my score, I'm planning to app the day before it expires.

Is there a backdoor # for the Costco amex??  Just in caseSmiley Tongue

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@getahead wrote:

Hi GBPac12, that's my plan, I'm shrubbing & paid down alot of my cards so when the cc companies report by the end of this month it should boost up my score, I'm planning to app the day before it expires.

Is there a backdoor # for the Costco amex??  Just in caseSmiley Tongue

The Amex backdoor # is: 800-567-1083. I believe there really isn't a specific number for each of Amex's cards. Just call and let them know which card it is Smiley Very Happy.

Also, next time if you need any backdoor #'s check out the backdoor #'s thread in CC's section under Types of Credit. Here is the link: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.