cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are some of the easier prime cards to get? (Non-Cap1)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are some of the easier prime cards to get? (Non-Cap1)

@Anonymous wrote:

With the amount of spending and travel you described, and since you said you've paid off your outstanding debts (sorry I didn't initially catch that part of your opening post), you may also want to look into restoring credit with American Express, as I've heard they're more willing to work with you again as long as you've paid them back. And a charge card like the premier rewards gold could get you a nice return on your travel spending.

I agree.... I've seen various posts on MyFico of individuals who have restored their relationship with AmEx after paying off old balances (including balances included in Bankruptcy). Your scores also seem good enough to get a Venture card with Capital One and if your income is good... you may get a high credit limit. I know many don't consider it a true "travel rewards" card but you will earn miles that you can use to erase travel purchases or book travel via the Capital One rewards portal. You could use this for now until next year when your other baddies fall off.

Message 11 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What are some of the easier prime cards to get? (Non-Cap1)

@Anonymous wrote:

And with what scores?

Prime doesn't really mean anything.  Prime is relevant to borrowers, not credit cards depsite popular misuse of the word.

It's never just about score but you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database (Google to find), if desired.

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have 15 derogs, all but one paid.

Don't rely on what you pervice as easy to get.  If you have 15 derogs then you need to focus on getting them removed, if possible.  Derogs tend to have significant impact as long as they are on reports and that's why we always recommend addressing them first.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for Amex BCE with a 656 ex and 2 COs and 1 CA 3 years old
Message 13 of 20
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@jeffery581 wrote:

IMO, I would plead and beg to have the negatives removed. Be Honest and some of them might delete anything negative. Cap 1 deleted a 30 day late for me in 2011. I have also had other creditors delete items years ago. Check out the rebuilding forums. That's What I started doing in 2010 when a loan officer said "your credit is terrible".

2010 fico 500's 2016 756 .

Stick around these boards. Great SMART people on here.Smiley Wink

Good will letters. Smiley Very Happy    IMO

I agree - hit the Rebuilding forum and focus on getting those derogs removed. Once they're gone (or they fall off), then look into the cards you actually do want. Your scores are kind of low and with that amount of derogs (even though they're paid -- that will require manual review anyway), approvals might be rough. 

Good luck. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 14 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I did. But, I didn't have cards originally with them. I had Orchard, Juniper, etc. I know I screwed, don't need to be reminded Smiley Happy $30K in paid CO's over the last 1 year plus proves my determination. I don't mind trying for a Venture. I just don't want all my eggs in one basket. I travel a ton and get to personally expense my travel. I ran $47K through a $3.3K secured card over the last year. That's not easy to do, lots of payments. I am going to apply for Discover soon. I may have to due secured, if so I will make it a $5K secured so I have a higher balance. However, if I am forced to go secured, I have read it reports as secured not credit. What impact does that have? However, I do hear they graduate. And, if I did it in July, it would be eligible the month I should have either none to 1-2 derogs left. 

Having all your eggs in the Capital One basket, with a Venture, is relying on one of the most bullet-proof banks around for Credit Cards.

If you travel, which airline do you use the most? Which hotel chain?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 20
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Are you in a rush to get new cards for a specific reason?
If you have 10 derogs falling of in December (and you can get an early exclusion a few months before then) it may make more sense to wait until then so you get better terms (SL, APR etc)
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I did. But, I didn't have cards originally with them. I had Orchard, Juniper, etc. I know I screwed, don't need to be reminded Smiley Happy $30K in paid CO's over the last 1 year plus proves my determination. I don't mind trying for a Venture. I just don't want all my eggs in one basket. I travel a ton and get to personally expense my travel. I ran $47K through a $3.3K secured card over the last year. That's not easy to do, lots of payments. I am going to apply for Discover soon. I may have to due secured, if so I will make it a $5K secured so I have a higher balance. However, if I am forced to go secured, I have read it reports as secured not credit. What impact does that have? However, I do hear they graduate. And, if I did it in July, it would be eligible the month I should have either none to 1-2 derogs left. 

Having all your eggs in the Capital One basket, with a Venture, is relying on one of the most bullet-proof banks around for Credit Cards.

80% Hilton and SW. I am Diamond and A Preferred. I'm already Diamond for next year...

The reason for the "eggs" comment is because I fear if one of my cards is compromised, they may freeze the 3 I have. I want something from a different bank for safety. I should have mentioned that I excluded the Venture card because I plan on getting it. I'm a loyalist at heart. Cap1 will always be in my wallet, since they were the first in. I do have to admit I'd like to get a HHonors Amex and a SW card. But, I think I am 1.5-2 years away from that. I just have to accept that I am going to have to grind it out. I do plan on starting a GW campaign, I am just not sure who, what (to write) and where to send them. I am waiting for my credit report to update with the reflection of the payments I made to pay off the last of my debt. My CR's state that I am 60% UTI because of 3 accounts (that are now paid, just not updated) that are reporting balances that are greater than limits. I imagine I may see a boost when my UTI drops down below 10%. 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
Are you in a rush to get new cards for a specific reason?
If you have 10 derogs falling of in December (and you can get an early exclusion a few months before then) it may make more sense to wait until then so you get better terms (SL, APR etc)

Not a rush, but I didn't realize running 47K through my $3.3K Cap1 secured card wasn't going to be beneficial. The other 2 cards I have from them have a $500 limit. Plus a CreditOne with $550.

Message 18 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to go the Discover secured route. Is a GREAT credit card product, and even in secure format, it offers cash back rewards, which are in a double cash back promotion. Meaning you can essentially get 2% or 10%cash back for a full year. After a year it may graduate to unsecured. As far as it reporting as secured, that in and of itself has no impact at all on your credit score. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 19 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

80% Hilton and SW. I am Diamond and A Preferred. I'm already Diamond for next year...

The reason for the "eggs" comment is because I fear if one of my cards is compromised, they may freeze the 3 I have. I want something from a different bank for safety. I should have mentioned that I excluded the Venture card because I plan on getting it. I'm a loyalist at heart. Cap1 will always be in my wallet, since they were the first in. I do have to admit I'd like to get a HHonors Amex and a SW card. But, I think I am 1.5-2 years away from that. I just have to accept that I am going to have to grind it out. I do plan on starting a GW campaign, I am just not sure who, what (to write) and where to send them. I am waiting for my credit report to update with the reflection of the payments I made to pay off the last of my debt. My CR's state that I am 60% UTI because of 3 accounts (that are now paid, just not updated) that are reporting balances that are greater than limits. I imagine I may see a boost when my UTI drops down below 10%. 

Have you considered the US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards cards? Either the AMEX or the VISA version earns 2 points on airfare, if that is a lot of your spend, or groceries or gas (the highest spend of the three gets 2x points that month), then there's cellular, and restaurants on the AMEX. Those FlexPerks points can be 2c each max (it depends on the value of the ticket you buy) so even the base points aren't terrible. At your rate of spend, you'd fill out the 20,000 points for redemption reasonably quickly, and probably earn the bonus points to erase the AF.

You might need to build up a relationship with US Bank, but once in with them, the doors open wide.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.