cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the chances these Chase denials are the result of an attempt to meet Quarter 2 numbers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the chances these Chase denials are the result of an attempt to meet Quarter 2 numbers?

I was thinking about the recent changes to Chase's policy, and really the recent rejections have all been over the last few weeks, to close out fiscal quarter two.

This had me thinking- is there a possibility we could see a change shortly after quarter three rolls around? Is Chase just doing this now to curve some numbers to show shareholders in two weeks?

Anyone have any opinions or ideas about this?

If so, let's hear them!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What are the chances these Chase denials are the result of an attempt to meet Quarter 2 numbers?

Except the vast majority of the consumer population isn't affected by what we're seeing here.

When the average American has something like 5 or fewer credit cards, they're not going to stumble over the 5 cards opened with other institutions in 2 years that appears to be the reputed current UW standard.

If I had to guess they'll be evaluating this new stance for six months or a year at a minimum dependant on what they perceive as the problematic pattern.

        
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the chances these Chase denials are the result of an attempt to meet Quarter 2 numbers?

And this wouldn't affect Q2 numbers. It would more be an attempt to influence future quarter numbers. Q2 numbers are a sunk cost at this point. 

Message 3 of 14
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Except the vast majority of the consumer population isn't affected by what we're seeing here.

When the average American has something like 5 or fewer credit cards, they're not going to stumble over the 5 cards opened with other institutions in 2 years that appears to be the reputed current UW standard.

If I had to guess they'll be evaluating this new stance for six months or a year at a minimum dependant on what they perceive as the problematic pattern.

If the vast majority isn't affected, then by inverse deduction (I made that up), the small affected population isn't significant enough to cause Chase financial problems. Why implement a whole new underwriting strategy just for a statistical blip?

I personally do think it has to do with temporary sagging economic growth levels, and Chase temporarily modifying their approach. Being more picky. Once things pick up, their strategy will probably loosen too.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just appd for the CSP and got the 7 - 10 day "we need to review your application a little further. We'll get back to you as soon as possible. If your approved, your card will arrive in the mail in 7 - 10 days". I appd for the Slate last week and was instantly approved 5500.CL I was hoping this would go the same way, but I was thinking there'd be a good chance I'd get the 7 - 10 day message. I'll find out in the morning which CA they pulled, if they pulled any. My EX is 790, but I do have 5 new accounts this year alone, not including the Slate from last week. But I only have 7 active accounts listed on my EX dating back to 1990, with no derogs or pub records. Should be interesting to see what they decline me for. I'm thinking my 12 INQ's and/or 5 new accounts. I thought about waiting a month for the Slate to post, but by than I'll have 10 new account's from my recent app spree. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be like Amex which took 7 days "in process" and than approved instantly. But I'm expecting a decline. Worth calling now or just hold off and wait ???
Message 5 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The chase denials are obviously the result of everyone getting their ritz AF refunded by moving/lowering their credit limit. Duh! xD

Probably not...but that definitely cost them a pretty penny with the amount of people I've seen do it.
Message 6 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Bman70 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If the vast majority isn't affected, then by inverse deduction (I made that up), the small affected population isn't significant enough to cause Chase financial problems. Why implement a whole new underwriting strategy just for a statistical blip?

I personally do think it has to do with temporary sagging economic growth levels, and Chase temporarily modifying their approach. Being more picky. Once things pick up, their strategy will probably loosen too.

Somewhere back around 2005 JPM Chase had 88 million credit cards issued; I suspect that number is likely similar today.

Source: http://www.scranton.edu/faculty/hussain/research_files/ValuationOfBankCreditCard200703.pdf

Can anyone suggest with a straight face that the numbers of churners or ice cream shoppers was more than an a tiny fraction of that?  Lenders will quickly move to smash policies which cost them money in virtually any amount if they notice a trend; I've personally seen UW guidelines change in the span of an hour at multiple lenders I've worked at when something wrong was noticed (and some even faster), it's just not hard to accomplish technology wise on any reasonably written application infrastructure.

Also I can tell you with authority that lenders do watch this and other forums; there's been direct actions that even I was aware of as a volunteer moderator, and likely far more that I wasn't.  It's not hard to find the pattern if it's handed to you on a silver platter from a data mining perspective.

While I don't think the current working theory is quite accurate and I suspect there's more to it than the simple metric people have so far ascribed to it, to suggest that just because it was an outlier behavior the banks wouldn't take action on it is simply does not match the experience I've seen first hand.  While I agree they may well loosen up I doubt it'll be anything more than the numbers of accounts involved unless they come up with the 1 bonus award per lifetime some people have suggested or similar: if you find a class of unprofitable customers in any market (financial services or anywhere else) it's in your best interests to encourage them towards your competitors... and if we're anywhere close to accurate with how Chase is approaching this, they're doing that exactly right.

ETA: I do really like your term btw Smiley Happy.

To add though, from the Gallup April 2014 poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168668/americans-rely-less-credit-cards-previous-years.aspx

Mean (all) 2.6 cards per average American 

Mean (card owners only) 3.7

More interestingly, the 5+ card crowd: 16%, of which 9% is 5-6 or 7% like most of the people on the forum who have stuck here for any amount of time > 1 year (at least in the Credit Card and associated boards).

This doesn't affect that many customers as a result, actually given that app sprees aren't normal behavior, I suspect the numbers affected are even smaller than what might be rationally expected.  Other than students who really falls into this behavior in normal non-"credit-educated" life?

        
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I agree with Rev.   If it is cheap enough to make a change (in proportion to expected or actual losses) and doesn't impact potential good customers, then you may as well do it.

Chase COULD implement a once-per-lifetime policy, or reduce the bonus, or only pay after AF (or not waive AF) etc, but presumably they feel that would not get them the market share they desire.    Experience may also have shown them that people with a  lot of new cards are either more risky, unprofitable, or both.

Again, this change isn't going to impact the vast majority of real-world people, but could reduce an annoying (if small) set of undesirables.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a small stable of 3-4 cards and don't apply for every flavor of the month card that comes down the pike, you likely have nothing to worry about.  Chase always was a conservative lender (I'm still surprised they let me have a Freedom with a 625ish Credit score) and sounds like they're becoming more so to keep the 20+ cards set from simply chasing bonuses and churining cards as they see fit.  It really doesn't matter if you feel you have the income or discipline to maintain that many cards, lenders will still see you as a risk. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just appd for the CSP and got the 7 - 10 day "we need to review your application a little further. We'll get back to you as soon as possible. If your approved, your card will arrive in the mail in 7 - 10 days". I appd for the Slate last week and was instantly approved 5500.CL I was hoping this would go the same way, but I was thinking there'd be a good chance I'd get the 7 - 10 day message. I'll find out in the morning which CA they pulled, if they pulled any. My EX is 790, but I do have 5 new accounts this year alone, not including the Slate from last week. But I only have 7 active accounts listed on my EX dating back to 1990, with no derogs or pub records. Should be interesting to see what they decline me for. I'm thinking my 12 INQ's and/or 5 new accounts. I thought about waiting a month for the Slate to post, but by than I'll have 10 new account's from my recent app spree. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be like Amex which took 7 days "in process" and than approved instantly. But I'm expecting a decline. Worth calling now or just hold off and wait ???

From what I can see most people saying, just ride it out.

Most people seem to think that Chase is just targeting the credit seekers and churners, and aren't responding well to recon calls.

If they are going to give you the hard denial based on number of accounts, a recon call won't help the cause anyway! I would just wait it out!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.