Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the current 'prime' cards

tag
Tikon
Established Member

What are the current 'prime' cards

I have the cards in m sig. I'm pretty proud of my line up. As I mentioned in the gardening thread I have over 20 inquiries across the agencies, so I am sitting back until 2013.

I do this mainly as a hobby. I am low income, young, low debt (positive net worth), my house is paid, and I already have good credit. Basically, I'm not planning on needing credit within the next 5 years, so I want to get the best collection of prime cards and start aging them.

I'd especially like good looking cards that are impressive to behold. The chase saphire is a definite goal for that reason. My AmEx BCE is very disapointing for looks. It's UGLY and feels cheap. My Discover More card is pretty sexy with the black design I picked.

So what cards do I need to 'win' the credit card prime list? I don't want AFs since I don't actually charge much. My tentative goal is Barclaycard Ring and Chase sapphire

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: What are the current 'prime' cards

Are you for real or are you just fishing?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

@Tikon wrote:

I have the cards in m sig. I'm pretty proud of my line up. As I mentioned in the gardening thread I have over 20 inquiries across the agencies, so I am sitting back until 2013.

I do this mainly as a hobby. I am low income, young, low debt (positive net worth), my house is paid, and I already have good credit. Basically, I'm not planning on needing credit within the next 5 years, so I want to get the best collection of prime cards and start aging them.

I'd especially like good looking cards that are impressive to behold. The chase saphire is a definite goal for that reason. My AmEx BCE is very disapointing for looks. It's UGLY and feels cheap. My Discover More card is pretty sexy with the black design I picked.

So what cards do I need to 'win' the credit card prime list? I don't want AFs since I don't actually charge much. My tentative goal is Barclaycard Ring and Chase sapphire

You have a very nice collection.  Is there a contest going on?

~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 3 of 21
Tikon
Established Member

@lithium78 wrote:
Are you for real or are you just fishing?

Just curious. I have mainly gotten cards by responding to advertisements in the mail. I don't know what banks are out there. I've seen HSBC, USAA, which I could research but it means finding the card designs and figuring out which are prime to meet my criteria.

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 4 of 21
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Who cares what your card looks like beyond mere aesthetics? 'Win' the prime cards list?

I'm not entertaining this thread anymore than this it is so rediculous...moving on

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 21
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Picking a card based on looks is pointless.  Pick cards based on what it will do for you.  Whether it be cash back, points, air line miles, concierge services, or low interest.  Looks shouldn't even be in the equation.

Message 6 of 21
mxp114
Valued Contributor

For me, design does have appeal but it isn't the sole factor. One of the best cards in terms of value AND design is CSP, which you mention so that's a good choice. You have a lot of prime cards now, so you're there.

Message 7 of 21
Tikon
Established Member

@espnjunkie wrote:

Who cares what your card looks like beyond mere aesthetics? 'Win' the prime cards list?

I'm not entertaining this thread anymore than this it is so rediculous...moving on

Picking a car, computer, wife, piece of furniture, etc. is pointless based on looks as well, one might argue.

As I said, I'm a LOW spender, I already have good rewards but it doesn't really matter right now since I have no income to spend with.

Also, to reiterate, this is a hobby. I don't judge your hobbies. I could have a credit rating of 300 or 850 right now and it wouldn't have any effect (most likely) on my life in the next 5-10 years.

Message 8 of 21
honky
Regular Contributor

Actually, I kind of agree with Tikon here.  I think a lot of people on these forums have turned this into a hobby for various reasons.  I am looking for a new truck, and prefer the fords strictly because the interior looks better..even though the dodge is less expensive

Starting Score: 580 2/03/12
Current Score: 810 EQ // 829 TU(Walmart)
Goal Score: Achieved!

Wallet: Citi Forward(13.5k), Ink plus(18k), CSP(13.5k), Freedom(6k), BoA123(13k), Alliant CU(5k), Walmart(2k), Kohls(1.4k), QuickSIlver(7.5k) Amex Simplycash Business(46.5k)
Message 9 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Tikon wrote:

@espnjunkie wrote:

Picking a car, computer, wife, piece of furniture, etc. is pointless based on looks as well, one might argue.

As I said, I'm a LOW spender, I already have good rewards but it doesn't really matter right now since I have no income to spend with.

Also, to reiterate, this is a hobby. I don't judge your hobbies. I could have a credit rating of 300 or 850 right now and it wouldn't have any effect (most likely) on my life in the next 5-10 years.

This forum is full of credit hobbiest.    There are the maximum FICO score, lowest utilization, lowest number of inquiries, longest time since application, best rewards, lowest fees, lowest interest rate, and lots of variations .

Picking cards for looks and status actually makes more sense to me.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.