cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the negative effects of taking full advantage of a 0% intro APR offer?

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: What are the negative effects of taking full advantage of a 0% intro APR offer?

Prior to 2008, there were people that would go on massive app sprees, churn the

introductory period. Someone with a thick report suitable for getting 30-40 new cards and

multiple $100k's total CL could get $20K or more in a year from the combination of bonuses

and interest. The issuers responded by putting lifetime caps on sign up bonuses and

the interest rates on "safe" short term investments don't pay any more.

You could do this if you can consider your credit card relationship with Chase disposable.

You may or may not end up with open accounts at the end of the period when you pay it off.

Be very certain they receive your required minimum payments before the due date. You probably

won't be able to get best terms on any new apps during the maxed utilization.

I personally would not do it, especially not for only ~$30K invested. Can I ask what kind of investment

you're contemplating with a 5% return? Back before 2008 when people did this they were depositing

the money into CD's. CD's don't pay squat since 2008. I really wouldn't do this with any investment

that wasn't 100% sure of return of principle. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 11 of 17
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: What are the negative effects of taking full advantage of a 0% intro APR offer?

I think it's fine, but of course a small risk of AA from other creditors. I'd make sure that once it gets high that you decrease the balance every month by 200 or so. This will likely alarm them much less.

Also, make sure your investments are lower risk, not something like stocks. 5% sounds like alot for something that is actually low risk. Niot sure if you have a backup plan in case you lose money on it.

Message 12 of 17
Chris679
Established Contributor

OP I think some of these posts are WAY too paranoid about utilization. It is really only an issue if is is high for extended periods and you're only making minimum payment. If you go ahead with your plan just pay at least 10% each month not just make one huge payment at the end. Of course you run the risk of balance chasing by Chase but big deal what will you use a Slate card for after 0% is up anyway. If you don't have balances on other cards you will not look like you are in trouble. Don't walk on egg shells with your cards use them how you want.
Message 13 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
OP I think some of these posts are WAY too paranoid about utilization. It is really only an issue if is is high for extended periods and you're only making minimum payment. If you go ahead with your plan just pay at least 10% each month not just make one huge payment at the end. Of course you run the risk of balance chasing by Chase but big deal what will you use a Slate card for after 0% is up anyway. If you don't have balances on other cards you will not look like you are in trouble. Don't walk on egg shells with your cards use them how you want.

I got the distinct impression OP is planning on minimum payments, or what amounts to the same thing: Pay $1,000 today, charge $999 tomorrow.

+1 to use your card how you want. You asked for advice, the decision is yours.

I don't get worried about utilization in the short term, but the timeframe proposed and combining BT with new charges to push $30k seems like it will get noticed.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't think you should be overly paranoid about util. Unless you are planning on apping for several cards or a car loan or a mortgage, it really isn't that big of a deal. Pay your cards down and your score will bounce back quickly.

I paid off a small ($90) balance on one of my cards and my score went up 9 points. It does not take long for your score to recover. I imagine if you pay off a large balance, the benefit is going to be pretty huge.

But no, I don't advocate minimum payments. You need to pay off more than you spend, or you will never make real progress.

Message 15 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@transufchik wrote:

I was just approved for a 0% intro APR card (Chase Slate), and I can consolidate into it the credit I have on other cards from Chase, for a total credit limit of around $30K.

I don't necessarily have any debts that I need to cover, but I do have solid investment options that I'm quite sure could get me, let's say, 5% interest over the next 12 months.

The plan I'm considering right now is to make some (free) balance transfers to the Slate plus concentrate all upcoming purchases on it, so that I quickly reach very close to the credit limit, and then leave it on almost 100% CU for the entirety of the 0% intro APR period, for a gain of about $1,800 from the "free" loan, and then repay it in full.

I would obviously get a temporary hit to my credit score due to the high CU on the specific card, but my total CL across all cards is over twice that so I don't think it will plunge too deeply.

My concern is mainly - are there other factors I'm not taking into account here? E.g. would Chase potentially be alarmed by such a maneuver and reevaluate its relationship with me? Would it have a long term effect on my score and/or perception by credit analysts reviewing my future applications?

Thanks for any insights on this.

This just seems like a really bad idea. Its ok to carry the balance on a 0% APR, but I wouldn't max out the card and just let it sit there like that for a year. If you do go forward with this make sure you pay well above the minimum each month. For example if the minimum is $35 I like to pay $200 a month. At the very least pay double the minimum each month. Maxing out the card and making minimum payments each month for a year is going to rile chase up I think. You may not see any AA until you pay the card off and then they balance chase you down. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@transufchik wrote:

I was just approved for a 0% intro APR card (Chase Slate), and I can consolidate into it the credit I have on other cards from Chase, for a total credit limit of around $30K.

I don't necessarily have any debts that I need to cover, but I do have solid investment options that I'm quite sure could get me, let's say, 5% interest over the next 12 months.

The plan I'm considering right now is to make some (free) balance transfers to the Slate plus concentrate all upcoming purchases on it, so that I quickly reach very close to the credit limit, and then leave it on almost 100% CU for the entirety of the 0% intro APR period, for a gain of about $1,800 from the "free" loan, and then repay it in full.

I would obviously get a temporary hit to my credit score due to the high CU on the specific card, but my total CL across all cards is over twice that so I don't think it will plunge too deeply.

My concern is mainly - are there other factors I'm not taking into account here? E.g. would Chase potentially be alarmed by such a maneuver and reevaluate its relationship with me? Would it have a long term effect on my score and/or perception by credit analysts reviewing my future applications?

Thanks for any insights on this.

As i'm sure many people in the thread have already said. Running more than about a 50-60% balance for any prolonged period of time can and will set you up for adverse action from this lender and possibly other lenders.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.