cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the next credit cards I should get and my history and ch 7 rebuild journey update

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the next credit cards I should get and my history and ch 7 rebuild journey update

Okay a little bit about my history and my rebuilding journey.

I filed for ch 7 bankruptcy June 2014 discharged October 2014.
Found MyFicoForum and rebuilding guide to 700 December 2015.
Jan 2016 Applied for capital one secured card for $300 and credit one card for $450 and approved for both.
March 16 started out as $500 CL Platinum card, also had a Quicksilver one for $500 built both up to $2250 converted the quik silver one to a quiksilver, then combined the platinum into the quiksilver for a $4500 CL and currently have a $2600 balance on it. 
Credit one card opened January 16 with a $650 CL.
Synchrony card $2000 CL with a $0 balance
Jared card $3200 CL $0 balance
Recently paid off a $1,000 Credit builder loan from best bank since they closed down.
Current scores as of today
EQ 8 629 EQ 9 597 EQ 5 mortgage 657
TU 8 644 TU 9 662 TU 4 mortgage 671
EX 8 645 EX 9 679 EX 2 mortgage 664
EQ 4 inquiries most set to fall off by april 2018
TU 6 inquiries most set to fall off by april 2018
EX 7 inquiries Inquiries most set to fall off by april 2018.

On my credit report, the accounts that I ended up including in my bankruptcy were all opened between december 2010 and april 2011 so I'm wondering even though they are included on ch 7 bankruptcy for 2014 do they fall off individually 7 years later in 2018?
Nothing in collections, all previous old accounts were IIB and show up as paid 0 balance.
No late payements currently just the ch 7 bankruptcy on there.

I have just recently signed up a with a saving accounts with Navy Federal CU and signed up with USAA membership.
At this point, I'm wondering if I apply for another capital one card like the platinum, venture one what I would expect my offered CL to be or should I apply?
At this point in my rebuilding and with my prior CH7, do you think I could qualify for a Discover card, chase or should I go after any others to have and finally close my credit one?

In my Ch 7, I burned Wellsfargo with two $4000 credit cards maxed out, burned cap one who now is my best friend and burned shell/cbna with a $500 card.
I want to apply for a mortgage at the end of 2018 with my fiancee and I know her credit factors in etc but just based on mine does it look like I should go the FHA route or a Navy Federal no PMI mortgage? We will at most have probably $15-20k down payment on a loan between $215-245K in metro Atlanta Georgia.
My fiancee doesn't have a bankruptcy or anything major on her credit but for some reason last year she stopped paying on her student loans so she has late payments of over 6months and when I found out I totally freaked out and talked to her so now she's paying on those but not sure how she can correct that on her credit report and her score is in the high 590's now. Any ideas how to fix her late payments for student loans?
Would USAA be out of my reach based on my credit alone or is Navy Fed or FHA a better option?

I just want to know what steps should I take on the next credit cards in building my resume.

Which route should I go in terms of mortgage?

When should I expect to get over 700?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: What are the next credit cards I should get and my history and ch 7 rebuild journey update

For rebuilding I can't brag about NFCU any more than I already do. My scores were worse than yours are now,but I had a thick file both good and more recently bad. I had good DTI and they approved me for a unsecured CC with a SL of $2000. Anecdotal evidence on here with good useage and responsible and timely payments they give astronomical CLIs after 90 days and three statements. So short version, that's where I would go. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the next credit cards I should get and my history and ch 7 rebuild journey update

You could try Barclays as well, they were pretty good to me when I was ~4-5 years out, I didn't burn them.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.