Did you mean: 

What are the popular CCs in 2013?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Re: What are the popular CCs in 2013?

@Irisa wrote:

CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred

Should I assume that card is better than the Chase Freedom?

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 11 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

@Irisa wrote:

CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred

Should I assume that card is better than the Chase Freedom?

No, because "better" depends on the individual's goal and circumstances.    But CSP is harder to get.

Basically, the big benefit of CSP, for those that can use it, is the ability to transfer Ultimate Reward points (earned on the Freedom, CSP, and a few other cards) to frequent flier/guest programs of various partners.   This can be very valuable, as a made up example, I can take 80K points I've earned on the card, and transfer them as 80K United miles to that frequent flier program.   With those 80K miles, I can buy a first class ticket that normally costs $8K, basically making each point worth 10c, whereas if I cash them out with the freedom each point is worth one cent.

Now many people don't in fact do this (and if you wouldn't have bought the ticket for $8K it's not clear that this is a fair valuation) but that is a big benefit of the card.

It also comes with a large bonus, 40K points which can be cashed out for $400, used to book $500 of travel, or transferred to another program and potentially be worth a whole lot more.  

But CSP only offers 2x points on two categories, dining and travel, so if you don't travel, and find more use of the 5x categories on the Freedom, CSP isn't better in that case!

Message 12 of 36
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Don't forget BCE and Citi TY Preferred.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 13 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:
Don't forget BCE and Citi TY Preferred.

Well, since I recommend against both those cards, I would be happy to forget!

BCE: For most, BCP is the better choice.  Bigger bonus, and as you can buy gift cards to other places at supermarkets, BCE only makes sense if your spend on everything is very low.   In which case the benefits are also small.

TY Pref:  In the non-5x form, more or less a 1% card with some new 2% categories just added, terrible exchange rate for cash or statement credits, limited set of gift cards and other redemption options, and with changes to the Premier, less valuable to use for travel.

Message 14 of 36
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I want to get the Barclaycard Arrival...Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 36
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Wait, were you just trying to find out if the Arrival is popular enough before you apply for it? Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 36
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with most everyone here,  I think its the CSP. 

Message 17 of 36
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Wait, were you just trying to find out if the Arrival is popular enough before you apply for it? Smiley LOL

No. I want some cards with no FTF. I don't really like to deal with Cap1, so Barclaycard Arrival is ideal. Or PenFed cards. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 36
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

no mention of PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa?

5% Gas

3% Grocery

1% All other

high limits

or Fidelity Retirement / College Savings, 2% on Everything, as long as you stick rewards into a qualified account

I'd like to convert my Slate to a Sapphire, but not the 95$ one.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 19 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

no mention of PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa?

5% Gas

3% Grocery

1% All other

high limits

or Fidelity Retirement / College Savings, 2% on Everything, as long as you stick rewards into a qualified account

I'd like to convert my Slate to a Sapphire, but not the 95$ one.

WHile I agree the Fidelity is a good card, it isn't really popular here, the latest thread I recall was about how ugly it is!

Penfed Platinum Rewards is no longer available, the replacement, the Sig version, moves to a 3/2/1 structure after Dec.   For existing users, the card rewards were nerfed last week, with a large rise in the points needed to redeem most rewards.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.