Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the popular CCs in 2013?

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: What are the popular CCs in 2013?

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm guessing that the hot card of the year with the general public and with a lot of credit card watchers would be the Discover It, since it just came out and is from a well loved company. Next to that, maybe the Amex BCE or BCP for their everyday benefits.

I'm guessing the CSP is hot with higher income people, frequent flyers, members of MyFico forums and so on, but not so much with the average credit user.

+1.  And I think Joe Public is probably going to be quite taken with the Quicksilver cards, once their advertising really ramps up...and you know it will !

Message 31 of 36
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

* the most popular might not be what's best for you.
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 32 of 36
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

WHile I agree the Fidelity is a good card, it isn't really popular here, the latest thread I recall was about how ugly it is!

Penfed Platinum Rewards is no longer available, the replacement, the Sig version, moves to a 3/2/1 structure after Dec.   For existing users, the card rewards were nerfed last week, with a large rise in the points needed to redeem most rewards.

Yeah, I'll take ugly. I'm not trying to win a cool contest with my card

PenFed: I missed the notice on the Rewards nerfing, but yes, I see now.  It still sets up for 4.2% Gas, 2.5% Grocery, and 0.8% all else.  Clearly, the users are selecting against them (i.e. using it disproportionally for 5%/3% categories) and they had to adjust.  If they were caught by surprise, that is bad planning.

thanks for the heads up!

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 33 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

WHile I agree the Fidelity is a good card, it isn't really popular here, the latest thread I recall was about how ugly it is!

Penfed Platinum Rewards is no longer available, the replacement, the Sig version, moves to a 3/2/1 structure after Dec.   For existing users, the card rewards were nerfed last week, with a large rise in the points needed to redeem most rewards.

PenFed: I missed the notice on the Rewards nerfing, but yes, I see now.  It still sets up for 4.2% Gas, 2.5% Grocery, and 0.8% all else.  Clearly, the users are selecting against them (i.e. using it disproportionally for 5%/3% categories) and they had to adjust.  If they were caught by surprise, that is bad planning.

thanks for the heads up!

Don't get me wrong. It's not exactly a cool kids club contest or anything, but I'm often in a situation where people are using their Amex Plat and other so-called "prestigious" cards simply because of the setting itself. People there are not in it to maximize rewards, so as to say. 

The Fidelity is an excellent card with an extremely minor drawback being its choice of design and color. The other drawback being it's part of the AMEX network so acceptance can be spotty sometimes, but that really depends on where you shop / dine at. For some, they'll never run into such issues. If so, one can always get the Fidelity Visa Signature, which is also a great card in my opinion. For someone who absolutely doesn't travel and just need an all-general cashback card, the Fidelity Amex is a great card amongst other cashback cards such as the Cash+, BCP, etc. 

For me, I am able to utilize my UR points well, so spending on my CSP provides me with better value, and it's a great card that isn't exactly too shabby either. At the end of the day, it really depends on one's priorities.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 34 of 36
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@oscar_actuary wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

thanks for the heads up!

Don't get me wrong. It's not exactly a cool kids club contest or anything, but I'm often in a situation where people are using their Amex Plat and other so-called "prestigious" cards simply because of the setting itself. People there are not in it to maximize rewards, so as to say. 

The Fidelity is an excellent card with an extremely minor drawback being its choice of design and color. The other drawback being it's part of the AMEX network so acceptance can be spotty sometimes, but that really depends on where you shop / dine at. For some, they'll never run into such issues. If so, one can always get the Fidelity Visa Signature, which is also a great card in my opinion. For someone who absolutely doesn't travel and just need an all-general cashback card, the Fidelity Amex is a great card amongst other cashback cards such as the Cash+, BCP, etc. 

For me, I am able to utilize my UR points well, so spending on my CSP provides me with better value, and it's a great card that isn't exactly too shabby either. At the end of the day, it really depends on one's priorities.

+1. The Fidelity Amex is a fantastic card that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. As a no-AF, flat 2% CB card, it's virtually unrivaled when compared to similar cards which require travel redemptions to maximize CB values (Arrival, BofA Travel Privileges, Venture, etc.)

The main disadvantages are (in no particular order):

1. Absolutely ugly card. Whoever designed it should be shot.

2. It runs off the AMEX network, which means that there may be acceptance or surcharge issues at some merchants.

3. While it runs off the AMEX network, the card itself comes from FIA/BofA. This means a lower level of customer service (and lack of other benefits) when compared to Centurion bank issued Amex cards.

4. Limited advertising, and this is one of the biggest contributors to its lack of popularity.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 35 of 36
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

I want to get the Barclaycard Arrival...Smiley LOL

I got it!! Smiley Very Happy WMC!

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.