Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your 3 favorite credit cards?

tag
gpfirestone
New Contributor

What are your 3 favorite credit cards?

Give a quick list and why for each one...

I'll start.

1: Capital One Spark Cash 2% Card

I got Cap1 to remove the annual fee and raise the limit so this is one of my higher limit cards with 2% cash back on everything.  It's my goto for non gas/food purchases.

2: Chase Sapphire Preferred.

This is my goto for dining out.  I like that it gets double points plus the 7% dividend at the end of the year.

3: American Express Blue Cash Back (old terms)

I don't think my terms are offered anymore, but after I spend $6500 a year on it, I get 5% cash back unlimited on all gas/grocery purchases.  In January I make one business charge for $6500 on it at 0.5% cash back and then for the entire year I get 5% cash back on gas/groceries.

Honorable Mentions: Amazon Visa through Chase (Only use it for amazon purchases, but the 3% back is awesome) AND Chase Ink Plus (I only use it for my Comcast and Verizon bills and the 5% cash back pays for the annual fee plus some extra rewards at the end)

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
flawesome
Contributor

Re: What are your 3 favorite credit cards?

Interesting Amex blue chash you've got there Smiley Happy

mine are:

Sallie Mae - %5 on my gas/groceries/books/amazon

cash+ - I don't have this one yet, but I would use it for fast food and general discount stores(BJs/Sams). And restaurants if one of the other two options were not available.

Fidelity Amex- 2% on everything else. The double cash would actually be better for acceptance though. Maybe I'll pick it up next year.

| BoA BBR 5k | Discover it 1k | freedom 2.2k | Fidelity AMEX 1.5k | Sallie Mae 1k | AARP 2.2k | BJ's PPlus 3.7k |
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't someone just do this yesterday?

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpfirestone wrote:

Give a quick list and why for each one...

I'll start.

1: Capital One Spark Cash 2% Card

I got Cap1 to remove the annual fee and raise the limit so this is one of my higher limit cards with 2% cash back on everything.  It's my goto for non gas/food purchases.

2: Chase Sapphire Preferred.

This is my goto for dining out.  I like that it gets double points plus the 7% dividend at the end of the year.

3: American Express Blue Cash Back (old terms)

I don't think my terms are offered anymore, but after I spend $6500 a year on it, I get 5% cash back unlimited on all gas/grocery purchases.  In January I make one business charge for $6500 on it at 0.5% cash back and then for the entire year I get 5% cash back on gas/groceries.

Honorable Mentions: Amazon Visa through Chase (Only use it for amazon purchases, but the 3% back is awesome) AND Chase Ink Plus (I only use it for my Comcast and Verizon bills and the 5% cash back pays for the annual fee plus some extra rewards at the end)

Smart man.

Message 4 of 28
gpfirestone
New Contributor

Here are the terms if you're interested:

Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases and is earned in the form of Blue Cash Reward DollarsSM (reward dollars). You can redeem reward dollars for statement credit, merchandise and gift cards, whenever your available reward dollars balance is 25 or more. The number of reward dollars you earn is based on a percentage of the dollar amount of your eligible purchases during each billing period. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

You earn a reward based on a percentage of the dollar amount of eligible purchases you make each billing period. On purchases in certain categories, called Everyday Purchases, you can earn a higher percentage reward. The reward percentage is based on the type of purchase and your prior spend during the reward year at the time of purchase. For your first $6,500 of eligible purchases in the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs (reward year), you will receive a reward of 1% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 0.5% on all other eligible purchases. For each dollar of eligible purchases in excess of $6,500 in that same reward year, you will receive a reward of 5% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 1% on other purchases.

Everyday Purchases are: eligible purchases made at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets); eligible purchases of $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations), and eligible purchases made at U.S. locations of select major drugstores. 

Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant’s code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward. A purchase may not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

Message 5 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

Here are the terms if you're interested:

Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases and is earned in the form of Blue Cash Reward DollarsSM (reward dollars). You can redeem reward dollars for statement credit, merchandise and gift cards, whenever your available reward dollars balance is 25 or more. The number of reward dollars you earn is based on a percentage of the dollar amount of your eligible purchases during each billing period. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

You earn a reward based on a percentage of the dollar amount of eligible purchases you make each billing period. On purchases in certain categories, called Everyday Purchases, you can earn a higher percentage reward. The reward percentage is based on the type of purchase and your prior spend during the reward year at the time of purchase. For your first $6,500 of eligible purchases in the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs (reward year), you will receive a reward of 1% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 0.5% on all other eligible purchases. For each dollar of eligible purchases in excess of $6,500 in that same reward year, you will receive a reward of 5% on Everyday Purchases and a reward of 1% on other purchases.

Everyday Purchases are: eligible purchases made at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets); eligible purchases of $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations), and eligible purchases made at U.S. locations of select major drugstores. 

Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant’s code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward. A purchase may not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

This card is still available, instructions posted in several threads recently!   The strange part I don't really understand is the limitation of $400 per gas transaction, whereas drug stores and groceries have no such limit.

Message 6 of 28
gpfirestone
New Contributor

The limit is not cumulative, but for a single purchase.  I've never hit a limit on my gas transactions and have been using this card for about 5 years now.  I am sure it is to prevent fraud since some gas station owner could cycle someone's card for the benefits whereas "supermarkets" as they call them are large corporations and much more regulated.

Message 7 of 28
vivman1107
Valued Member

1. Fidelity AMEX - 2% cash back on everything

2. Sallie Mae MasterCard - 5% cash back on gas, groceries, Amazon

3. US Bank Cash Plus - 5% cash back on two categories you choose and 2% cash back on one category you choose

Message 8 of 28
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Message 9 of 28
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

CSP
CSP
CSP
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.