Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What bank you can't get your foot in the door with

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What bank you can't get your foot in the door with

Discover is Chase will not give me a shot for nothing in this world I'm gonna try to get it in with Discover in a few years for the last time.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
jnydc
Contributor

Re: What bank you can't get your foot in the door with

what has been their reason for denying you?

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 2 of 32
mross1080
Established Contributor

The only ones left for me is Discover, Chase, and Citi. And im pretty sure I want nothing to do with discover. I mean only for the feeling of having all cards but as for discover they have ridiculous guidelines for a card that doesnt work at a lot of places seems silly. Good rewards but to try to be elite and then not be accepted at a lot of places doesnt work well for me.

Message 3 of 32
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@mross1080 wrote:

...but as for discover they have ridiculous guidelines for a card that doesnt work at a lot of places seems silly. Good rewards but to try to be elite and then not be accepted at a lot of places doesnt work well for me.

Hmmm.. are you really talking about Discover? What guidelines are ridiculous? The rewards are ok with low caps, however. I never noticed they tried to be elite. It's more the commoner's Amex! Most places accept Discover these days (I think about 90% of all places that accept MC/VISA will accept Discover. I couldn't think of any place where I shop that would not accept Discover. Even my veterinarian takes Discover (but not Amex). Too bad that there is no rotating cashback category for veterinary treatment.

I have to say, I absolutely love Discover's online account access. It's very nicely designed, clear and direct.

Message 4 of 32
mross1080
Established Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

@mross1080 wrote:

...but as for discover they have ridiculous guidelines for a card that doesnt work at a lot of places seems silly. Good rewards but to try to be elite and then not be accepted at a lot of places doesnt work well for me.

Hmmm.. are you really talking about Discover? What guidelines are ridiculous? The rewards are ok with low caps, however. I never noticed they tried to be elite. It's more the commoner's Amex! Most places accept Discover these days (I think about 90% of all places that accept MC/VISA will accept Discover. I couldn't think of any place where I shop that would not accept Discover. Even my veterinarian takes Discover (but not Amex). Too bad that there is no rotating cashback category for veterinary treatment.

I have to say, I absolutely love Discover's online account access. It's very nicely designed, clear and direct.

From all my reading and personal experience Discover has pretty tough guidelines. To me I dont feel its worth proofing myself to discover. My opinion is there looked at as the lower card company to a lot of people. Not talking about us Myficoers, everyday dont know much about credit folks. Im not sure where your at but where I am I look at everyplace I go to see who they accept and discover is the low man on the pole for where I go. If you like Discover that than by all means use it and enjoy it. Im not saying people shouldnt use it. Im saying from my perspective more elite guidelines for a mediocore rep.

Message 5 of 32
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

I compltely agree that Discover has too high of standards sometimes.  I used to be a Discover card member, closed because I went on credit hiatus for a few years to remedy bad habits.

When I reapplied I was turned down for excessive balances.  I called and complained because my UTIL at the time was 7%, and I was only carrying a $1,200 balance for a home remodel on my credit union card at 5% APR (the rest of my 7% was for cards I accidentally let report a balance, but clearly showed that I usually pay in full on them).  She understood that I paid all but one of my cards in full, but she was having NOTHING to do with the one with a $1,200 balance, and told me I was too high of a risk carrying that much debt.

Lol, whatever Discover.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 6 of 32
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is Barclays for me, last 4 years I could not get any thing.
Message 7 of 32
mross1080
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
It is Barclays for me, last 4 years I could not get any thing.

You try the recon number? I've had great luck with that!

Message 8 of 32
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

I am not defending Discover here. They're an ok card to have. I just use it to reap the rewards, pay in full and that's it.

Discover is a bad choice if you're looking for stuff like balance transfer and paying their APR. They charge a lot. They're stingy with their initial credit limits. I only got $3500 when I opened my account two months ago, but I hope that as this card sees continued usage, they will increase it eventually. An experience with their customer service convinced me that they are just as incompetent as most customer services with other banks.

Since this thread is about rejection, here is my uneventful story:

I was actually rejected by Chase for a Freedom. A week later, I applied for Discover and was approved. I was mad at Chase as they rejected me for no real tangible reason (I have a squeaky-clean credit file) but then I realized it's not about rational decisions anyway. It was funny to subsequently read here how several posters with scores way lower than mine and average account age lower than mine and many more recent inquiries had been approved for Chase products with beefy credit limits. I am happy for them, but I still don't understand why Chase wouldn't accept me. While reconing, the rep on the phone told me that she would like to see more usage of my current cards. I push about $1500 to $2000 through them every month. Kind of ironic!

I like the Freedom and the 5% categories with higher caps than Discover, and I might apply for one again in two years or so. Right now, I don't need it. But then, in two years there might be a credit product that appeals more to me than the somewhat boring Chase Freedom.

Message 9 of 32
score_building
Senior Contributor

UMB ...was gonna use them just to further diversify but if anything need to cull several accts. so am unlikely to ever reapply.

Discover is more difficult to get than Amex in many cases, 'commoners amex'-not, cute term though, lol

Of major issuers the only one couldn't be bothered with is hsbc (but that is by choice) have most others, plus a handful of excellent CU.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.