Did you mean: 

What benefits are worth a new card?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What benefits are worth a new card?

@Anonymous wrote:

What benefits are worth a new card?

Worth is highly subjective regardless of topic.  It's up to each to determine what makes something worth it and not worth it no matter how you slice a group of people.

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's a question for the more financially conservative folks here: how much of a benefit would a new card have to provide (dollar value, percent, etc.) in order for you to consider applying for the card? 

I don't have clearly defined critieria.  I calculate out rewards that I stand to gain, consider how I value other benefits and features and then decide.  It's not solely about $ and %.  It can also depend on how a given card stacks up against my existing cards.  A given card might have the potential to offer great rewards but it's redudant with an existing card then I may not be inclined to apply.

@Anonymous wrote:

Although I'm not applying for anything for a while yet, I ask because I just looked over my expenditures and I don't spend as much as I thought I did. As a result, I saw that the most extra cashback I'm likely to gain by applying for a new card with my current spending is $36/year. And that's not a huge amount. So maybe I don't need to have any additional cards even later after I'm done in the garden.

Definitely do the math to help you in your decision.  It's up to you to determine if any $X is worth it to you.  Don't just fixate any one thing on its own whether that's %, AF, sign on bonus, etc.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

A sign up bonus of at least the equivalent of $500. Any AF would be deducted from this unless it was waived the first year. I have no loyalty. In fact, I like to diversify my point/mile holdings to give me more options for planning travel.

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

At this point, something would probably have to be a 2% or more improvement on a significant category, or a smaller category improvement and a bonus worth ~$150 or more, or if the card was worthless to me long-term, a bonus of $400 or more Smiley Happy I'd also probably go for any card with more than 2% back on general spend. But really, I'm pretty well set with my current lineup, so it would probably take a significant sign-up bonus to draw me out of the garden.

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's a very complex answer, and as someone with an economics degree, I can tell you that you can write a book answering this question... I'll try to shorten it to a paragraph or two...

what you are essentially asking about is your opportunity cost of opening a card... essentially what you're saying is "what will it cost me (what will I give up) to open this card in terms of other alternatives?" it might be confusing a little but effectively everything has a price, even things that don't "cost" anything... you picking up a glass of water, has a price because you could've picked up some chips instead... your price of opening a credit card is a hit on your fico score... so what you are trying to evaluate is: will this card provide me more benefit (make me more money) than I will give up in credit score?" the answer to that is very subjective... in short, if you're shopping for a house or a car, a FICO drop might bump you into a higher rate, which will mean that you'll pay tens of thousands $$ more over the lifetime of your mortgage from the interest increase... I imagine it's a little less drastic if you're buying a car but still... on a $30k car, and extra 1% can add up to quite a lot of $$ that you might not make back with rewards... there's also the question of what if you get declined? will you now have to uber to work for 2 weeks while you try to come up with cash to get a junk car to hold you over? will you keep throwing $$ away on an apartment instead of paying down a mortgage? all those things are your monetary opportunity cost...

now, here comes the trick... in traditional economics, that's where we'd stop... we'd count up how much $$ you gained vs lost and whatever was greater, that's the best choice... but we're also human so often times we make decisions not based in "facts"... it doesn't mean that they are "wrong" decisions... they might be wrong for 99% of people... but every single decision is "right" to the person making it... so basically we draw value out of having our card be black and metal or have a superhero on it... it might not mean anything to anyone, but it means something to YOU... so that's where things get fishy... we can count up how much you will gain vs lose but we'll never really know since the only person that knows your "value" scale is you... some people will be willing to take a higher interest rate on their car to get spiderman on their card... it's all subjective...

so if you want a cold, hard answer... count up how much the extra benefits will gain you over the next couple of years and then subtract how much you stand to lose from a lower fico score... if you're buying a house or a car... there's likely no card that is worth it... if you aren't applying for serious credit... then your loss is likely next to nothing, maybe being denied another card that would earn you more? that's the economics side of it... the human side of it is- you're the only person that knows the answer to this question...

Message 14 of 32
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

that's a very complex answer, and as someone with an economics degree, I can tell you that you can write a book answering this question... I'll try to shorten it to a paragraph or two...

what you are essentially asking about is your opportunity cost of opening a card... essentially what you're saying is "what will it cost me (what will I give up) to open this card in terms of other alternatives?" it might be confusing a little but effectively everything has a price, even things that don't "cost" anything... you picking up a glass of water, has a price because you could've picked up some chips instead... your price of opening a credit card is a hit on your fico score... so what you are trying to evaluate is: will this card provide me more benefit (make me more money) than I will give up in credit score?" the answer to that is very subjective... in short, if you're shopping for a house or a car, a FICO drop might bump you into a higher rate, which will mean that you'll pay tens of thousands $$ more over the lifetime of your mortgage from the interest increase... I imagine it's a little less drastic if you're buying a car but still... on a $30k car, and extra 1% can add up to quite a lot of $$ that you might not make back with rewards... there's also the question of what if you get declined? will you now have to uber to work for 2 weeks while you try to come up with cash to get a junk car to hold you over? will you keep throwing $$ away on an apartment instead of paying down a mortgage? all those things are your monetary opportunity cost...

now, here comes the trick... in traditional economics, that's where we'd stop... we'd count up how much $$ you gained vs lost and whatever was greater, that's the best choice... but we're also human so often times we make decisions not based in "facts"... it doesn't mean that they are "wrong" decisions... they might be wrong for 99% of people... but every single decision is "right" to the person making it... so basically we draw value out of having our card be black and metal or have a superhero on it... it might not mean anything to anyone, but it means something to YOU... so that's where things get fishy... we can count up how much you will gain vs lose but we'll never really know since the only person that knows your "value" scale is you... some people will be willing to take a higher interest rate on their car to get spiderman on their card... it's all subjective...

so if you want a cold, hard answer... count up how much the extra benefits will gain you over the next couple of years and then subtract how much you stand to lose from a lower fico score... if you're buying a house or a car... there's likely no card that is worth it... if you aren't applying for serious credit... then your loss is likely next to nothing, maybe being denied another card that would earn you more? that's the economics side of it... the human side of it is- you're the only person that knows the answer to this question...

Also remember when we are talking about a lowered FICO score, its just for a very short amount of time. And the extra credit line can improve your FICO via various means (reduced utilization, larger percentage of your cards reporting 0% utilization, less future impact of adding even more cards, etc). 

So we are talking about a small FICO reduction for a few months versis cold hard cash, a 3D Ironman card, more cash back, and a stronger credit report. Similarly with HP's, why bother conserving them when they become irrelevant from a FICO standpoint after 12 months, and disappear entirely after 24?

The way I see it, when your FICO score is lower than 740, you need to be much more careful to preserve every point you can, than when you have a comfortable cushion above 740. If obtaining a new card or two will gain you a few hundred dollars, and your FICO doesnt drop to 740, then there is little downside. With the obvious exception of a Morgage or car loan in the near future.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

See this is what happens when a GC member stops thinks and analyzes their needs choices and spending 

They make good informed decisions about what cards they have and need

Which make sense and if they even need new ones at all 

Yes!Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question! Good discussion!

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talking about "benefits", I see 3 major categories: perks, rewards, and sign up bonus

perks like personal concierge, air port lounge, primary rental insurance, free golf, etc... are totally situational and personal, so it's really hard to spell out which benefits are worth a new card (and the AF that comes with it).

rewards card market at the moment is pretty competitive, I think. With 3-4 cards you can probably get very near the optimal cashs back, and there is really no need to get more of the "new" cards when and if they come out. Unless there is a 2.5-3% flat, unrestricted (like a super-charged quicksilver), cash back, then everyone here will be all over it.

sign up bonus, this one is easy. At least $500 or equivalent after AF, then I have my eyes on it.

Message 18 of 32
galahad15
Valued Contributor

The only new card worth applying for at this immediate point in time for me would be one that has an APR at 10% or preferably below, also rewards are a nice option but not mandatory, and bonus points if the card has a fixed-rate APR.  Or alternatively,  if a card came out that had a flat, all-inclusive 3%-5% rewards structure that I would PIF every month, so that the APR in that case wouldn't matter as much.  But tbh, the former option is my strongest preference, since it would give me the option of realistically being able to revolve a balance if I needed to, such as in the case of an emergency, unanticipated car repair expenses, etc. (also since some cards I may revolve on, while others I PIF monthly).

Message 19 of 32
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Interesting topic, and I'll start by saying I agree with the comments some have made about it being a very personal, individual choice. There's really no objective right or wrong answer that is true for everyone.

For me, I have 800+ FICO 8s, a thick credit file, okay but not great AAoA, rarely have more than 1 inq per bureau, and PIF monthly. I also have no intention of applying for a car loan or mortgage in the foreseeable future. My personal rule of thumb is to add no more than 1 new credit account per 1-2 years. I don't travel at all and am only interested in cash back rewards. Since I PIF APR rates are irrelevant to me and I'm not particularly concerned with credit limits.

I'm fairly choosy about what cards I might apply for. I'd say if the card will have no future value to me I'd need a $400+ signup bonus. If the card will have some value to me, any percent increase in a rewards category I spend at least moderately in, then a signup bonus of about $200+ would make me consider it.

On the other hand personal factors could also compel me. For example my general, non-category spend card is the 2% Citi DC, and I'm very happy with the card. However, I don't like Citi (poor customer service and consistent, repeated technical problems with website). They're my least favorite current lender (I liked Capital One less, but got rid of them). So, even a small $50+ signup bonus on a new 2% everything card would probably be enough to get me to apply and phase out Citi. I wouldn't be gaining anything in long-term rewards, but the $50 and chance to remove Citi from my portfolio would be enough...but it would also depend on the new lender of course. I love Discover, Chase, and BofA. If any of them offered a 2% everything card I'd be all over it. I'd happily keep Citi over Capital One or Barclay though. I'd have to think it over carefully if the lender was Amex, Wells Fargo, US Bank (those 3 are a mixed bag for me with some things I like but also drawbacks), or a major credit union (I'm willing but hesitant to dip my toes in the credit union waters). I probably wouldn't make the switch for a smaller, unfamiliar bank or credit union.

By the same token regarding personal factors, I do have some 'brand loyalty' to Discover, Chase, and BofA so would be more inclined to consider their products even with smaller rewards or signup bonuses than I mentioned in the third paragraph.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.