Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can we do with limited USAA Membership

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: What can we do with limited USAA Membership

Hi scubagirl1215, I have sent you a personal message. Could you please check into your personal messages and look into message from. Thanks....
Message 21 of 28
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

What can we do with limited USAA membership? I opened savings/checking account. I understand we can not open credit accounts. I could not open a CD account. What else can we get from USAA? Can we obtain insurance or any other products? I undestand about credit products not being available, it kind of makes me feel silly why bother being a member with them if I can not even open a CD for my kids with the bank.

According to the USAA representative i spoke to this morning a non military account is eligible for debit rewards and for cd accounts.  but no deposit at home for non military at present as previously indicated.  she said if you are not able to open the cd account(s) online for some reason then you can just call in to set it up. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 22 of 28
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Yesterday I called to see if I can open the checking account. CSR took my information and said I have been in the system for last 27 years. I guess my uncle who used to work for navy as Captain setup an account for me in their system. CSR said it is one of the oldest accounts they have. But since I did not have any insurance products with them from that time, I am not eligible for any other products except savings / checking / credit card. CSR said now that I am setting account with them other products might be open in future for me.  I wonder if he has sponsored me for NAVY FCU also at that time. What a small world, I did not even realize my account has been in their system for last 27 years.
Message 23 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

so you can join as non member and then once account open apply for credit card??? I'm confused.

How strict are they with approvals? 

Message 24 of 28
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

so you can join as non member and then once account open apply for credit card??? I'm confused.

How strict are they with approvals? 

Yes, once you open the checking or savings account then you can apply for their non military credit card. They pull EQ and approval is very tough. I applied with EQ682 and they rejected with reason too many inq/new accounts. I think you have to have scores in 700's and no new accounts and no new inq's.
Message 25 of 28
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

I think I remember them telling me also no BK..I dont know if that means no new BK or none on your record at all..I guess I dont  have limited membership bc my husband is in the military..I have a savings/chkg and once my car insurance expires I'm switching my car insurance over to them also..but good luck!Smiley Very Happy

oh and yes they pulled a cr for me for the chkg/savgs it was EQ which seems to be all anyone ever pulls for me

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 26 of 28
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

x

Message 27 of 28
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
Yesterday I called to see if I can open the checking account. CSR took my information and said I have been in the system for last 27 years. I guess my uncle who used to work for navy as Captain setup an account for me in their system. CSR said it is one of the oldest accounts they have. But since I did not have any insurance products with them from that time, I am not eligible for any other products except savings / checking / credit card. CSR said now that I am setting account with them other products might be open in future for me.  I wonder if he has sponsored me for NAVY FCU also at that time. What a small world, I did not even realize my account has been in their system for last 27 years.

I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the answer you received; if your uncle was an officer, then I don't see why you aren't eligible for all of USAA's products. The only thing that I can think of as to why you can't get the insurance is that maybe your uncle did not himself become a member of USAA.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.