cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can you do with Amex Delta / CSP after the 1st year?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

What can you do with Amex Delta / CSP after the 1st year?

As I am preparing to apply for CSP and/or Amex Delta rather soon, I have the following question, especially to those who already passed 1yr mark on those cards or close to it - what are the general options you have after the 1st year:

1) (obvious one) continue using card, let AF hit you and not bother at all

2) (another more or less obvious one) close the card some time before AF hits; if offered something attractive by the retention group (like waiving the fee (unlikely) or crediting some miles) - switch to option #1

3) PCing it to something with no AF

I find #3 particularly interesting, but I'm not sure if that is possible at all. Any success stories of PCing Amex Delta to, let's say, Blue Sky, or CSP to non-preferred Sapphire?

At the second look #3 might not be too much attractive compared to the option "Close CSP/Delta + Apply for a new no-AF one" as this way you will most likely get signup bonuses for no-AF cards...

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something? (Although for me it might be a little bit premature as even if I'm approved now, in a year's time a lot might change)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: What can you do with Amex Delta / CSP after the 1st year?

Ive heard of people PCing Delta to BCE and CSP to regular CS.  You must wait for the 1 year point.  I have the Delta now and plan on getting CSP soon.  I fly Delta at least twice a year so my AF is covered by my waiver of baggage fees.  I plan on keeping this card.  CSP is an end game card for me and the rewards I plan on getting back from it should more than cover the AF.

So I will keep both of these.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

if the only reason you got the csp was the sign up bonus, then PC to freedom (reg sapphire is a waste). but most of us get this card because the benefits are worth 95/year, so my guess is option a is the winner. the flexibility of using points to top off southwest or united accounts makes the af worth it to me. of course, last year I spent 20k on restaurants and have 4 overseas trips planned for 2013 already.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Delta is a good card to have even if you fly once in a calendar year. You get the free baggage for all passengers listed on the itinerary. I've found that if you are nice to the Sky Caps (as you should be anyway!) they'll ignore the overweight bags and waive the fees on them. Additionally, you get priority boarding even if you are not flying in first. Lastly, you get the companion ticket annually for $99; of course, you'll have to buy a full fare ticket but stil...

Message 4 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I successful PC my delta to Bce after 28 days
one simple phone card but if you fly often then the fees should be cover soon.........
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

The platinum delta is a better value if you actually fly, i know it costs 55 more a year but the free domestic companion can easily recoupe the fees

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I'm going for plat delta next year. Got the gold as I was worried about being borderline approval (it was actually a triple pull so I was right on with that.). Ill add the plat next year and get the new bonus miles and cancel the gold before the AF is due.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
if the only reason you got the csp was the sign up bonus, then PC to freedom (reg sapphire is a waste). but most of us get this card because the benefits are worth 95/year, so my guess is option a is the winner. the flexibility of using points to top off southwest or united accounts makes the af worth it to me. of course, last year I spent 20k on restaurants and have 4 overseas trips planned for 2013 already.

You and I need to hang out.

Message 8 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I'm betting the underwriting is probably the same...  i just got the platinum with a single pull but only got an 1100$ CL

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I'm betting the underwriting is probably the same...  i just got the platinum with a single pull but only got an 1100$ CL

That's harsh. Well, the upside should be growth. If you use the crap out of it, the line should grow.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.