cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you think (if any) I can get

Valued Member

What card do you think (if any) I can get

In a month all 3 bureaus will have my score above 700 but for today I have EX 702, TU 584, EQ 587. I was a victim of ID theft and am getting everything cleaned up. EX took only a week which is how I jumped from 490 to 700 in just 2 weeks time.

 

Anyways, can you please tell me currently if there is any unsecured card I could get? Here's my stats...

 

Experian 702

4 months of credit history only (can't even pull a regular fico score yet, only the score from Experian directly. 

Good job with long history ($78K a year)

 

Between those 3 things above can you think of anywhere I could get a card to get a head start on credit building? Would like something with no fees if I pay it off monthly, which I will do.

 

Thanks...


Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES
Super Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

Glad everything is working out for you BofA is a good option as it graduates over time

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
Super Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

I would wait until eq and tu fix your report first, then apply. A lot of companies tend to double or triple pull.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 14
Mega Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get


johnnypinaz wrote:

In a month all 3 bureaus will have my score above 700 but for today I have EX 702, TU 584, EQ 587. I was a victim of ID theft and am getting everything cleaned up. EX took only a week which is how I jumped from 490 to 700 in just 2 weeks time.

 

Anyways, can you please tell me currently if there is any unsecured card I could get? Here's my stats...

 

Experian 702

4 months of credit history only (can't even pull a regular fico score yet, only the score from Experian directly. 

Good job with long history ($78K a year)

 

Between those 3 things above can you think of anywhere I could get a card to get a head start on credit building? Would like something with no fees if I pay it off monthly, which I will do.

 

Thanks...


The ability to pull an EX FICO has been non-existant since 2009. Only a denial letter from AMEX, mortgage approvals and a CU in PA can get you an EX FICO.

 

With only 4 months of credit history a secured card is what you need. BofA secured like the above poster mentioned is a good option. I would not recommend Cap1 because they will pull all 3 bureaus and you'll risk a denial.

 

Good luck!!!

 

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 14
Valued Member

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

What about a store card.. Walmart or Kohls or something like that? Would I qualify for any of those does anyone think?  Thanks


Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

walmart pulls tu, but i believe you need at least a 600... but i could be wrong. 

 

i would just wait until your credit reports update. 

 

the boa secured isnt a bad idea, if you could put a couple thousand into it. 

they tend too graduate after a year, and higher limits begit higher limits!

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Message 6 of 14
Established Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get


enharu wrote:
I would wait until eq and tu fix your report first, then apply. A lot of companies tend to double or triple pull.

+1 this

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 7 of 14
Mega Contributor

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get


creditnocash wrote:

walmart pulls tu, but i believe you need at least a 600... but i could be wrong. 

 

i would just wait until your credit reports update

 

the boa secured isnt a bad idea, if you could put a couple thousand into it. 

they tend too graduate after a year, and higher limits begit higher limits!


This is the best thing you can do because you never know what bureau(s) they will pull.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 14
Moderator Emerita

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

Message 9 of 14
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get


johnnypinaz wrote:

In a month all 3 bureaus will have my score above 700 but for today I have EX 702, TU 584, EQ 587. I was a victim of ID theft and am getting everything cleaned up. EX took only a week which is how I jumped from 490 to 700 in just 2 weeks time.

 

Anyways, can you please tell me currently if there is any unsecured card I could get? Here's my stats...

 

Experian 702

4 months of credit history only (can't even pull a regular fico score yet, only the score from Experian directly. 

Good job with long history ($78K a year)

 

Between those 3 things above can you think of anywhere I could get a card to get a head start on credit building? Would like something with no fees if I pay it off monthly, which I will do.

 

Thanks...



Hey there and Welcome to the MyFico Community Forums!!

 

I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through, I am working through the same issue for my husband.

Do you mind taking a look at the ID theft guide that I wrote on the forum and compare it to your experience?  First hand knowledge of the process from someone who is also going through the same thing would be very helpful. I posted the guide here.

 

Send me a private message if you have any feedback or tips to add. Thanks! As far as cards are concerned, if your EX is clean, I see no reason not to go for an Amex charge card or an Amex revolver.  Amex has very generous credit limit increase policies, and they can establish your member date for 2013, so that future cards will backdate to the 2013 date, which means they'll report as being opened in 2013. Good luck in whatever cards you decide to apply for!


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14