Valued Member
johnnypinaz

What card do you think (if any) I can get

In a month all 3 bureaus will have my score above 700 but for today I have EX 702, TU 584, EQ 587. I was a victim of ID theft and am getting everything cleaned up. EX took only a week which is how I jumped from 490 to 700 in just 2 weeks time.

Anyways, can you please tell me currently if there is any unsecured card I could get? Here's my stats...

Experian 702

4 months of credit history only (can't even pull a regular fico score yet, only the score from Experian directly. 

Good job with long history ($78K a year)

Between those 3 things above can you think of anywhere I could get a card to get a head start on credit building? Would like something with no fees if I pay it off monthly, which I will do.

Thanks...

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: What card do you think (if any) I can get

Glad everything is working out for you BofA is a good option as it graduates over time

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Super Contributor
enharu

I would wait until eq and tu fix your report first, then apply. A lot of companies tend to double or triple pull.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Mega Contributor
LS2982

johnnypinaz wrote:

In a month all 3 bureaus will have my score above 700 but for today I have EX 702, TU 584, EQ 587. I was a victim of ID theft and am getting everything cleaned up. EX took only a week which is how I jumped from 490 to 700 in just 2 weeks time.

Anyways, can you please tell me currently if there is any unsecured card I could get? Here's my stats...

Experian 702

4 months of credit history only (can't even pull a regular fico score yet, only the score from Experian directly. 

Between those 3 things above can you think of anywhere I could get a card to get a head start on credit building? Would like something with no fees if I pay it off monthly, which I will do.

Thanks...

The ability to pull an EX FICO has been non-existant since 2009. Only a denial letter from AMEX, mortgage approvals and a CU in PA can get you an EX FICO.

With only 4 months of credit history a secured card is what you need. BofA secured like the above poster mentioned is a good option. I would not recommend Cap1 because they will pull all 3 bureaus and you'll risk a denial.

Good luck!!!

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Member
johnnypinaz

What about a store card.. Walmart or Kohls or something like that? Would I qualify for any of those does anyone think?  Thanks

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 750

Valued Contributor
creditnocash

walmart pulls tu, but i believe you need at least a 600... but i could be wrong. 

i would just wait until your credit reports update. 

the boa secured isnt a bad idea, if you could put a couple thousand into it. 

they tend too graduate after a year, and higher limits begit higher limits!

Current: Discover Fico 701 10/14 Walmart Fico 689 9/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 3 TU 0 EX 0 | Most Recent: 09/26/2014

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility
47%(OUCH!!)
Freedom Signature

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
Established Contributor
tattooedhusker

enharu wrote:
I would wait until eq and tu fix your report first, then apply. A lot of companies tend to double or triple pull.

+1 this

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $9.5k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $6.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $1.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2150 |
Scores: EQ: 676 EX: 714 TU: 720 Goal: 750 across the board
Mega Contributor
LS2982

creditnocash wrote:

walmart pulls tu, but i believe you need at least a 600... but i could be wrong. 

i would just wait until your credit reports update

the boa secured isnt a bad idea, if you could put a couple thousand into it. 

they tend too graduate after a year, and higher limits begit higher limits!

This is the best thing you can do because you never know what bureau(s) they will pull.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
09Lexie

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

[ Edited ]

johnnypinaz wrote:

Experian 702

Thanks...

Hey there and Welcome to the MyFico Community Forums!!

I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through, I am working through the same issue for my husband.

Do you mind taking a look at the ID theft guide that I wrote on the forum and compare it to your experience?  First hand knowledge of the process from someone who is also going through the same thing would be very helpful. I posted the guide here.

Send me a private message if you have any feedback or tips to add. Thanks! As far as cards are concerned, if your EX is clean, I see no reason not to go for an Amex charge card or an Amex revolver.  Amex has very generous credit limit increase policies, and they can establish your member date for 2013, so that future cards will backdate to the 2013 date, which means they'll report as being opened in 2013. Good luck in whatever cards you decide to apply for!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}