Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you use for dining out

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: What card do you use for dining out

The best I can do on dining is my PayPal Extras MC at ~2.5% when Freedom isn't in season.

Message 21 of 32
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
I use the Freedom/Discover during rotating categories and then the Arrival + after that.

This is me, except I don't have a Discover.  I just maxed out my Freedom on restaurants (I really didn't except to do that but spent a lot of money dining out for our anniversary this year) so now I'm back to using the Arrival +.

Message 22 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ayeecorreia wrote:

I use my freedom for now, but after the 5% bonus is done in july I'll probably use my AMEX BCE. I eat out 2-3 times a week. 

BCE on this is just 1% cashback.  If you eat out 2-3 times a week I would like for a card that supports that (or gives more than 1% in non-category spend)

Message 23 of 32
dabossman
Contributor

not the best option but if you spend less than $166.66 a month on dining out you could use the BOA BBR and earn 5% back 

Mouse over for Limits, Sorted Oldest to Newest
Message 24 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

CSP exclusively
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 32
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

Use my 5% rotating cards during that quarter (FYI: Freedom is now) any other time I use CSP because I try to maximize my UR points for travel.

same here. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 26 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

For some reason I can't edit posts or quote anymore... I forgot to add that dining at any restaurants inside Ritz hotels goes on the Ritz card.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 27 of 32
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

forgot to mention, one can also sign up for united plus dining and southwest rapid rewards dining (or something like that) and you get airline points at cetain restaurants on top of whatever you get with the card you use. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 28 of 32
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Currently using Freedom, but beginning July 1, I have my Cash + categories set to Restaurants and Fast Food so that it will become my default card for dining (until the next time Restaurants is a Freedom category).  

Message 29 of 32
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

Unfortunately my Discover, NFCU Cash Rewards and Amex are what I have to decide between for restaurants, since my Freedom is the only active reward for dining now Smiley Sad

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.