cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you use for grocery spend?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card do you use for grocery spend?

Kdm - Because with BOA 2% isn't a lot haha even if you spend $10,000 you're only earning an extra 1% every time. But hey for me 2% with 0% APR for the first year is pretty good compared to my Chase Slate with 0% APR but 0% cash back.
Message 51 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now, the BCE. I just finished hitting and spending the bonus. Beyond that, I'm still deciding. I was using the DC and the BOA, and I still haven't decided if the extra 1% on the AMEX is worth the redemption annoyances. Only getting redemptions for every $850 isn't a deal breaker, but it's annoying. And I really don't like only having the statement credit option. 

It'll definitely be the Freedom come April 1st, but before and after that, I'm not sure yet.

Message 52 of 59
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

SallieMae was perfect for my spend, as I was able to use at Target and I had a minimal grocery store spend.   I have gone back to using RedCard at Target, and will do some grocery shopping there.   For anything else, I'll be using Cash+ at 2% so it can be grouped with my Fast Food spend.   Although my BCE would get me 3% at grocery stores, I hate their cash back program.   Rewards take far too long to post and must be redeemed in $25 increments.   That's not worth the extra 1% for me, so BCE can stay in my SD.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 53 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Rewards take far too long to post and must be redeemed in $25 increments.   That's not worth the extra 1% for me, so BCE can stay in my SD.

OT, but are there other cards that still do this?   I know Citi Dividend use to (and that may have been in $50 increments) but that changed even before the card was closed to new apps.

My guess is that the average real world user doesn't notice how out of step it is, or the delayed rewards, so no real pressure on Amex to change.

Message 54 of 59
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I rotate and use a combination of cards for groceries, mostly alternating between the Citi DC, FNBO BucksBack VS, and Cap1 NHM cards -- although lately I've also been including my 1.5x rewards points/$ spent PACU MC, as well as my BEFCU card (BEFCU also has a rewards program, but since I just recently got the card, I'm still trying to figure how it works exactly). 

Message 55 of 59
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

My Sallie Mae used to be my go-to card for grocery stores, and it was perfect because it coded Targets and Walmarts as grocery.  With the exception fo produce, very little of my grocery spend is done at traditional grocery stores.  Most of it is Costco, Walmart, or Delivery, which don't code as grocery by Ames.  So here is my current breakdown:

'Traditional' grocery stores (which isnt very much): BCE (3%)

Grocery Delivery: FU (2.25%-3%)

Target: Redcard Debit (5%)

Costco & Walmart: FU (2.25%-3%)

Message 56 of 59
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm a bit late to the party, but I can chime in that I use my BCP exclusively for groceries.

In my case I'm in a market where Kroger is very competitive, and most things are the same price as Wal-Mart (or cheaper if on sale) even before I figure in the 6% cash back. I also hit up Publix when they run sales on things I buy frequently (their regular prices can be high, but they run great sales).

Occasionally there are exceptions where I'll make a Wal-Mart run, but those don't happen that often (and I now have the USAA Limitless 2.5% to use at Wal-Mart).

I agree with everybody that the BCE/BCP redemption process is overly cumbersome, but I 'bank' my rewards anyway so I don't mind the delay.  For 6% it's worth the wait, however if I were to ever downgrade to the BCE I would probably not bother and just use the Limitless for grocery spend as well (and sacrifice 0.5%).

Message 57 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice UncleB!!

I am patiently waiting for the Limitless to become available in my state. Knowing my luck, not till December, ugh... Smiley Frustrated

Message 58 of 59
Trying37
Valued Member

I alternate between cards depending on offers and due dates. I may use Discover until the due date, then Amex BCP, then Bof A, Target, etc. I spend about $180 a week in groceries.
Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.