Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card gives good limits given the information inside:

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card gives good limits given the information inside:

I'm looking for a new card that will give a high credit limit (if any). Also do you think it's likely I will be approved? Here's my credit run-down:
History: ~7 years

Total cards: 3.

When I got the cards: first one was years ago, second one in November 2013, and most recent one about a month ago.

Total limits combined: $22,000

My age: 25

Recent inquiries: I have the card I got in Nov '13, then I didn't have any inquiries until recently. Then in October I had my oldest cards limit doubled from $4000 to $8000, I believe that was a hard inquiry, then I applied for a loan (foolishly) and decided I would rather put it on a 18 month 0% APR card since I should have it paid off within that time frame. Finally I applied for that card and got it with a $6700 limit. So depending on how you look at it I have 3 within the last three months or four within the last two years. I don't know how the credit card companies will take that into consideration.

When my most recent card drew an inquiry my credit was 765, but on credit karma it went up 12 points from my first cards limit increase, but went down 3 points for the new credit card - I had a net gain on credit karma of 9 points. Not sure how my actual score looks though as my credit karma score is about 30 points lower than the score citi sent me.

To the best of my knowledge that is everything. I'm making a big purchase and I don't want it all going on one card because the utilization ratio will go to crap. I want to apply for another card that has at least 12 months 0% APR that I can put half of the purchase on, and throw the other half on my current citi card with 18 months 0% APR.

My three questions:

1) Will I get approved for another card given the information above?

2) What card do you recommend that will probably give me another limit of at least $5k?

3) Will my newest CITI card see all of this and lower my $6700 limit?

Thank you for your input!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card gives good limits given the information inside:

I don't know for certain any that would give you a 5k limit.  Try looking at cards available as a Visa Signature minimally.  The Chase Sapphire Preferred is at minimum 5k.  I would establish a relationship with Amex if you haven't already.  I too am 25 and Amex gave me my third card with them @ 15k limit.  I had the previous two for about a year and a half.  You can get a CSP as long as your score is respectable @ over 700.  I got one in March but it was my second card with Chase.  Just start establishing relationships.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had a creditor lower a limit due to new credit.  As long as they don't see any risky behavior then I'm sure that won't happen.  Inquiries are of minimal importance as I'm sure you've read elsewhere on this site.  I had eight prior to going on a five app spree a month ago.  Got approved for all 5 with Cap1, Citi, Barclay, BOA and AMEX.  Don't worry.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weee your limits ok with getting that many cards at once? Or were the limits pretty low?

Message 4 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking for a new card that will give a high credit limit (if any). Also do you think it's likely I will be approved? Here's my credit run-down:
History: ~7 years

Total cards: 3.

When I got the cards: first one was years ago, second one in November 2013, and most recent one about a month ago.

Total limits combined: $22,000

My age: 25

Recent inquiries: I have the card I got in Nov '13, then I didn't have any inquiries until recently. Then in October I had my oldest cards limit doubled from $4000 to $8000, I believe that was a hard inquiry, then I applied for a loan (foolishly) and decided I would rather put it on a 18 month 0% APR card since I should have it paid off within that time frame. Finally I applied for that card and got it with a $6700 limit. So depending on how you look at it I have 3 within the last three months or four within the last two years. I don't know how the credit card companies will take that into consideration.

When my most recent card drew an inquiry my credit was 765, but on credit karma it went up 12 points from my first cards limit increase, but went down 3 points for the new credit card - I had a net gain on credit karma of 9 points. Not sure how my actual score looks though as my credit karma score is about 30 points lower than the score citi sent me.

To the best of my knowledge that is everything. I'm making a big purchase and I don't want it all going on one card because the utilization ratio will go to crap. I want to apply for another card that has at least 12 months 0% APR that I can put half of the purchase on, and throw the other half on my current citi card with 18 months 0% APR.

My three questions:

1) Will I get approved for another card given the information above?

2) What card do you recommend that will probably give me another limit of at least $5k?

3) Will my newest CITI card see all of this and lower my $6700 limit?

Thank you for your input!!

With three recent cards, I don't think getting another card with a really high limit is in the cards. maybe if you waited 6 months then tried for a NASA card.

More likely you could call the CITI backdoor number and request a CLI to $25,000 and see if you get it. You just might. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have one really recent card, the other things were inquiries. The other two cards are 1 year old (still semi-recent) and then 3+ years old. I've never missed a payment and I've always paid off my cards in full every month.

Do you think they will give me that much of an increase at CITI if I'm only at $6700 right now? And if not do they send a counter offer or do they just deny my request for that?
Message 6 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I only have one really recent card, the other things were inquiries. The other two cards are 1 year old (still semi-recent) and then 3+ years old. I've never missed a payment and I've always paid off my cards in full every month.

Do you think they will give me that much of an increase at CITI if I'm only at $6700 right now? And if not do they send a counter offer or do they just deny my request for that?

Well, from what I read on myfico they do counter offer, and they do often give a surprizingly high increase. So its possible. You should search for other threads on this topic and read what others have suggested regarding CITI CLI, especially immediately after obtaining their card.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Weee your limits ok with getting that many cards at once? Or were the limits pretty low?

My limits with the most recent approvals were 5k BOA, 4k Barclay, 5k Cap1, 3.5k Citi and 15k AMEX.  My available credit across all cards prior to those apps was 35k.  My most recent apps prior to the spree were in March of this year when I applied for and got two cards.  It's possible to get high limits initially but it's easiest with AMEX.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.