Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I apply for?

tag
huntsmama
New Contributor

What card should I apply for?

So I have some pretty lame cards, and I want tog et somethign decent and not as humiliating as my 1st Premier.

Currently I have a 668 EQ from this site

There's a few bad things on my report, 3 charge off's (all paid) a couple collections (all paid), repo (i know I know, it's paid!), a judgement (for the repo!)

But there's goo too!!!!!! 4 cc's I've never made a late or missed payment on (ranging from $4,500 limit to $200 limit, the big one my dad cosigned), 2 student loans, never missed a payment, car laon, never missed a payment

All my bad stuff will fall off by July of this year...BUT I'm going to be applying for a mortgage around December and don't want to app for a card that close. I'd be fine with what I have but my only two cards that aren't store cards are my Best Buy CC ($300) and my 1st Premier ($250). I have a 3% utl right now and it doesn't ever go about 7%.

Anyone have any advice on what would be a decent card for me to app for and get?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: What card should I apply for?

I would say dont app until after you close on your mortgage. Best bet would be wait till your derogs fall of, and that (like you said) is pretty close, so i would just wait till you closed.

Im not sure how fp looks to mortgage lenders, but i know some cc lenders look down on it, maybe someone else has better info on that.
Message 2 of 23
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Off topic of your question sorry....

Have you tried to GW the collection agencies and/or charge off creditors to get those paid accounts off your reports?  That would help you out!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 3 of 23
huntsmama
New Contributor

I have tried, but like I said, they're falling off in a few months...my only saving grace is that when I hit hard time it all hit at once and I'm in NY so 5 year rule...so everything will be off this summer. By the time I get anywhere with a GW (after sending 10-12!) it'd be like mid June! I can live without applying, I was just hoping there was something decent I had a realistic shot at getting.

Also, should I get rid of my 1st premier? It does nothing but charge me fees...I don't even use it, but I figured I should keep it open, but not if it's looked down on! It was tremendously helpful ing eting me where I ams o I can't hate too much!

Message 4 of 23
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I would close the FP if you have other non store cards with higher limits that you can use for everyday purchases. There is no need to keep it around.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 23
huntsmama
New Contributor

I only have one other non store card, $300 limit best buy mc...which i use all the time. I really never use the 1st premier, pretty sure the monthly fee is the only thing keeping it open! I'll go ahead and close it, I've been considering doing so for months but just haven't pulled the trigger! I just hope that doesn't make it look bad later :-x

Message 6 of 23
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I didn't know the Best Buy MasterCard can be used for everyday purchases. What is your credit limit on the FP? I'm assuming that your $4500 limit card is a store card?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 23
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

By every day purchases, I mean non store purchases.
Message 8 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

For sure wait until after your home loan closes, I think you would be a good candidate for the Discover IT card after that

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 23
huntsmama
New Contributor

My FP is $250. And yes, I use my Best Buy card for everything but purchases at Best Buy cause nothing there is cheap enough! It's actually pretty nice. I get points and they translate to gift cards(ish thingies) $5 for every $250, nothing great, but I use the to buy a lot of Christmas gifts!

My $4,500 limit is Metro Matress (GE Capital Retail Bank)

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.