red259
Super Contributor

Re: What card should I get?

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase AARP probably provides benefits for dining over regular CS. It also provides 3% on gas, which you appear to be missing. PenFed has a 5% gas card. BCP would give you close to 5% on groceries, assuming that you spend $120 a week on groceries at a supermarket.

The CS is better for me since the AARP is only 3% cash back and I value Chase URs around .02 per point. I have the ink card so I am not redeeming chase URs as cashback and instead am transferring them to travel partners. I don't use enough gas to need a card specifically for it. I used to have the BCP and downgraded to the BCE when I got the ED, since I prefer MRs and it will allow me to maintain my MRs even after I close my amex plat card.

What I might do at some point is either apply for or PC my ED to a to an EDP. I went with the non-AF version when I first picked it up because the freedom had a bonus on groceries for one quarter, so right there I knew I was going to lose a lot of grocery spend to the freedom. In addition, at the time I was picking up a lot of cards with min spend requirements, so I was concerned I would not hit my 30 transactions each month. Since I am slowing down on apps I am going to monitor my ED card use each month to see if I am consistently crossing 30 transactions a month without trying. I suspect I am. If that i the case then the AF will become worth it and I will try to upgrade. I have heard that sometimes they will give you a bonus if you upgrade and that may make it worth it to upgrade vs apping for another card. I feel like I am in the upper range of my overall credit with amex and from what I remember the EDP isn't the greatest signup offer usually.  

I was gonna says u sound like u have the spend, go for the EDP.  I am evaluating all my amex spend this April, but I have a feeling my lack of spending at grocery stores  is not going to help the cause.  Then again with amex serve it would be pretty easy to hit 30 transactions, if that still will work by then even. luckily im not into MS so my serve still works perfectly.  

ED: 2MR/ $1 on Gas and Groceries, 1MR/$1 everything else. After 20 swipes, 2.4/1 and 1.2/1

EDP: 3MR/$1 groceries, 2mr/$1 gas, $1/1 everything else. After 30 swipes 4.5/3/1.5  (of course x2 if you can get that via delta)

PRG: 2mr/$1 on restaurants, gas, groceries $1/1 everything else

Now I am confused. I swear that the EDP had bonus for Department stores. I guess that was always BCP. OK.

I mean really in thinking about it, I dont regularly shop at grocery stores, I am a farmers market and sams club kinda person...and I buy my inbetweens at Aldi where cc's arent accepted... And as much as I'd like, I dont want to move more of my spending to amex anyway.

No offense red, but you are already in so many travel programs, are you sure you really need another card?  Maybe just go for the bonuses instead?

Aside from UR, MR, and TYP, what else would you need?  It sounds like you have the itch ! lol

I don't think I need a card for a specific spend category (although maybe there is a card that would be better and I just don't realize it), but i'm more interested in a good signup bonus or a card with great travel benefits. The only cards that I can think of off the top of my head are a Citi AA business card (althouh the deval is coming so I'm not sure), the ritz card (but am trying to wait for a great signup) or the discover it card (to establish a relationship with discover, get a credit line for util, take advantage of rotating categories and since its no AF its a card I can keep indefinetly. 

well thats fine. then go app for the discover it miles, enjoy 3 percent on everything for a year, then after that pc it to the 5% categories version.  as far as sign on bonuses... go snag another BBR use same inquiry grab the $175 BOA CR AICPA, use a 2nd (potential 3rd) inquiry for chase grab $200 aarp and also a 2nd card of your choosing

I'm likely only looking for one more card. I strongly dislike BoA and do not do business with them. I don't think I will go for the AARP, because in the future I may want another chase co-brand card so I want to be careful about how many chase cards I have. So the 3% on everything for a year is that a signup deal for the discover it card or is that a different version of the card? I had thought it was always x5 rotating categories. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

its the double bonus for first year for new card members. u get 1.5 on everything now then in 12 months they match all  of it so u have 3 percent total.  so if u spend 10 grand  you would get 150 bucks then at end of year they give u another 150.  then after that pc it to the rotating categories one

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

What's lacking?  Not as in what payment networks or creditors do you not hold.  What purpose would a new card serve that isn't being fulfilled by your other cards?

Do you really have sufficient spend for UR, MR and TY?  Just one of thos programs alone typically requires a large amount of spend.  Or are you just collecting?

@red259 wrote:

Thoughts on any good cards I should go for?

Good is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.  If you want feedback you clarify your specific criteria for "good".  It's not just about the cards.  It's about what you need/want and how well a given cards suits your requirements.  I don't see anything in your OP that defines "good" for us.  It looks like you're just looking to justify a new app.  Give us more information on your requirements and we can provide meaningful and relevant feedback.

+1

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase AARP probably provides benefits for dining over regular CS. It also provides 3% on gas, which you appear to be missing. PenFed has a 5% gas card. BCP would give you close to 5% on groceries, assuming that you spend $120 a week on groceries at a supermarket.

The CS is better for me since the AARP is only 3% cash back and I value Chase URs around .02 per point. I have the ink card so I am not redeeming chase URs as cashback and instead am transferring them to travel partners. I don't use enough gas to need a card specifically for it. I used to have the BCP and downgraded to the BCE when I got the ED, since I prefer MRs and it will allow me to maintain my MRs even after I close my amex plat card.

What I might do at some point is either apply for or PC my ED to a to an EDP. I went with the non-AF version when I first picked it up because the freedom had a bonus on groceries for one quarter, so right there I knew I was going to lose a lot of grocery spend to the freedom. In addition, at the time I was picking up a lot of cards with min spend requirements, so I was concerned I would not hit my 30 transactions each month. Since I am slowing down on apps I am going to monitor my ED card use each month to see if I am consistently crossing 30 transactions a month without trying. I suspect I am. If that i the case then the AF will become worth it and I will try to upgrade. I have heard that sometimes they will give you a bonus if you upgrade and that may make it worth it to upgrade vs apping for another card. I feel like I am in the upper range of my overall credit with amex and from what I remember the EDP isn't the greatest signup offer usually.  

I was gonna says u sound like u have the spend, go for the EDP.  I am evaluating all my amex spend this April, but I have a feeling my lack of spending at grocery stores  is not going to help the cause.  Then again with amex serve it would be pretty easy to hit 30 transactions, if that still will work by then even. luckily im not into MS so my serve still works perfectly.  

ED: 2MR/ $1 on Gas and Groceries, 1MR/$1 everything else. After 20 swipes, 2.4/1 and 1.2/1

EDP: 3MR/$1 groceries, 2mr/$1 gas, $1/1 everything else. After 30 swipes 4.5/3/1.5  (of course x2 if you can get that via delta)

Now I am confused. I swear that the EDP had bonus for Department stores. I guess that was always BCP. OK.

I mean really in thinking about it, I dont regularly shop at grocery stores, I am a farmers market and sams club kinda person...and I buy my inbetweens at Aldi where cc's arent accepted... And as much as I'd like, I dont want to move more of my spending to amex anyway.

No offense red, but you are already in so many travel programs, are you sure you really need another card?  Maybe just go for the bonuses instead?

Aside from UR, MR, and TYP, what else would you need?  It sounds like you have the itch ! lol

I don't think I need a card for a specific spend category (although maybe there is a card that would be better and I just don't realize it), but i'm more interested in a good signup bonus or a card with great travel benefits. The only cards that I can think of off the top of my head are a Citi AA business card (althouh the deval is coming so I'm not sure), the ritz card (but am trying to wait for a great signup) or the discover it card (to establish a relationship with discover, get a credit line for util, take advantage of rotating categories and since its no AF its a card I can keep indefinetly. 

well thats fine. then go app for the discover it miles, enjoy 3 percent on everything for a year, then after that pc it to the 5% categories version.  as far as sign on bonuses... go snag another BBR use same inquiry grab the $175 BOA CR AICPA, use a 2nd (potential 3rd) inquiry for chase grab $200 aarp and also a 2nd card of your choosing

I'm likely only looking for one more card. I strongly dislike BoA and do not do business with them. I don't think I will go for the AARP, because in the future I may want another chase co-brand card so I want to be careful about how many chase cards I have. So the 3% on everything for a year is that a signup deal for the discover it card or is that a different version of the card? I had thought it was always x5 rotating categories. 

It's the Discover It Miles card (I didn't realize it had the 'it' in the title as well, but I guess it does.) I love Discover. It's 1.5 miles regular and doubled promotion for a year to 3. There's a recent thread that was asking why more people don't take advantage of the Miles card. I know that's floating around in my mind. 

Discover It (the regular one) is great for 0% intro offer on purchases and BT, as well as pretty much always offering BT 0% for a shorter term and 4.99% for a longer term. And they are fairly liberal with 0% purchase 'retention' offers, which has been awesome on top of the recently ended apple pay promotion on top of double cash promotion. 

Message 14 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's the Discover It Miles card (I didn't realize it had the 'it' in the title as well, but I guess it does.) I love Discover. It's 1.5 miles regular and doubled promotion for a year to 3. There's a recent thread that was asking why more people don't take advantage of the Miles card. I know that's floating around in my mind. 

Discover It (the regular one) is great for 0% intro offer on purchases and BT, as well as pretty much always offering BT 0% for a shorter term and 4.99% for a longer term. And they are fairly liberal with 0% purchase 'retention' offers, which has been awesome on top of the recently ended apple pay promotion on top of double cash promotion. 

That is interesting. Since it is a 0% intro apr I may want to wait on it then. I like to save the 0% apr card offers for a rainy day when I might need to make a large purchase that I need to carry. 

;
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the Miles version comes with 12 months while the regular It (the one with categories) comes with more
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The EDP bonus I think goes as high as 30k MR; not sure if that's high enough for your liking.  As for the AA change, it does hit premium international flights fairly hard, but it actually lowers the price of domestic economy, so depending on how you prefer to travel it might work in your favor.

EDIT: the only thing to be aware of with the Discover It Miles card is that it doesn't have full access to the Discover Deals, so you won't get as many discounts as you would with the regular It card.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The EDP bonus I think goes as high as 30k MR; not sure if that's high enough for your liking.  As for the AA change, it does hit premium international flights fairly hard, but it actually lowers the price of domestic economy, so depending on how you prefer to travel it might work in your favor.

EDIT: the only thing to be aware of with the Discover It Miles card is that it doesn't have full access to the Discover Deals, so you won't get as many discounts as you would with the regular It card.

very very valid point.

so..... say I was an amex cardmember for 13 statements (and will be this summer).   Would I be able to apply for the EDP if there was a 25k/30k promo?  Then just move the CL from my ED to the EDP (since one card must be at least 13 statements old) and close the ED?  I know I could just keep the ED open but I dont want to ever be at the 4 card max.  That would be pretty awesome....however the only downside to this would be inability to acheive APR reductions due to promotional APR...and also closing such a new card.  As easy as its been to reduce my DG I am super ready to get my ED off promo so I can get that puppy below 8 percent!  Decisions decisions!

ACTUALLY what would be awesome lol, would be to use one experian inquiry and app for a platinum 100k bonus and the EDP at 25k or 30k.  But truth be told I have had my eye on SPG for the 25k amtrak points. 

Now even if I did upgrade my ED to the EDP, I would still be eligible for a future EDP bonus since I didnt' technically receive one for that card, right?

And really in considering everything I think for me Amtrak points would be more useful than MRs so maybe I should be looking more at SPG before it disappears.  I have seen some low APRs on the SPG card too!

Message 18 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

30k MR isn't bad. I wouldn't go for the card just for the 30k MRs, but its a nice plus for a card I would want anyway. The premium international flights are how I like to redeem, so the changes would be a big blow. 

;
Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

Thinking about the AA deval I am wondering how redeeming AA miles will stack up in comparison to redeeming UA miles going forward. Anyone know how the two will compare after the changes, especially in terms of international premium awards. 

;
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.