Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I get?

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

What card should I get?

I'm 18 years old, I got my first card in September and I got a Discover it with $2500 CL and I just got an autoloan last month, I really want a second card. I applied for a blue cash everyday from AMEX back in february or so and got declined I really wanted to try it again or maybe a chase freedom? thoughts and opinions? 

EDIT

I just looked and in February I applied for a blue cash everyday from amex and I was declined due to not having any account for longer than 6 months, fico score is 735 currently

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card should I get?

Check the Chase and Amex prequal sites first to see if they have any offers for you. That will help you know if you have a good shot at approval. Capital One also has a prequal site. If none of those show anything, if you have a credit union you belong to, check with them.  Who financed your car? 
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do your FICO credit scores look like......Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@800who wrote:

I'm 18 years old, I got my first card in September and I got a Discover it with $2500 CL and I just got an autoloan last month, I really want a second card. I applied for a blue cash everyday from AMEX back in february or so and got declined I really wanted to try it again or maybe a chase freedom? thoughts and opinions? 

In order to advise you I would need to know

(a) your FICO scores and

(b) what you would like in a card

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 13
800who
Regular Contributor

730-735 for all three 

Message 5 of 13
800who
Regular Contributor

730-735 TU EX EQU; and I don't really have any preference. No annual fees is only thing I can think of, something like what the amx blue cash offered or the chase freedom unlimited.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same question too. I got my first card in december. I got the CL to 1k the other day. I also have a 600 dollar credit builder loan. When should i apply for card two? Any sugestions when and what cards to look into? I want cashback and no fees. The citi double cash back looks interresting 

Message 7 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@800who wrote:

730-735 TU EX EQU; and I don't really have any preference. No annual fees is only thing I can think of, something like what the amx blue cash offered or the chase freedom unlimited.

Chase will want to see a longer history, as Amex did.

IMHO your best card, if you're applying at this juncture, would be the Capital One Quicksilver, but they usually pull all 3 bureaus.

If you just wait until October you can probably get the Chase Freedom Unlimited at that point.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 8 of 13
capnsloya
Contributor

Hey mainemade,

If you can get a pre-approval with chase, you should have a good shot at getting in with them. I was able to get a Freedom with only 4 months AAOA and a 707 Experian FICO. With Amex, I was approved for both a PRG and a BCE as soon as my reports were reporting my first account as being 6 months old with a 695 Experian at the time. 

Current Cards

FICO Score 8's as of February 2023

Inquiries as of February 2023
Message 9 of 13
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I would wait out the 6 months. Capitalone is not worth it when you have scores like yours and so many better options after just a few short months. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.