Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I try for?

tag
CreditCowboy
Established Member

What card should I try for?

Hi Guys,

FICO is 642, I have three open lines, two are clean, but only 12 months, and 3 months old, and the other is a student loan that has been good since 10/2010. Prior to that my credit was terrible. I have one open collection for a lease from 2005 and 4-5 closed collections. Most of the baddies will be falling off this year, and next. Although I am trying to get rid of the open collection now. I know I need more good credit since I am trying to buy a house this year, but I am scared of inquires unless I am pretty confident I will get approved. 

What cards should I try for? Can I get an unsecured card? I currently have Cap 1 secured (300), and Credit One unsecured (550). 

Thanks!

Starting Score: 634
Current Score: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What card should I try for?

Barlcay like Apple might be a great one via recon after you apply... I'm sure it will be instant denied.. it's COMPLETELY NORMAL for them!!

GE Cards might be great too... Walmart, JCPenney, Chevron, etc. etc.

Macy's.

Who, What would be useful to you for credit?

Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you are trying to buy a house this year you should not be applying fr more cc's. obviously, taking care if the baddies would improve your chances of approval. On the open collection, see if you can get a PFD. How old are your baddies? The good wont be so good if your baddies aren't dealt with unfortunately.

If you still want to apply, you might want to try the shopping cart trick. No inq's just a new TL. Good luck!
Message 3 of 5
CreditCowboy
Established Member

Most of my baddies will fall of this year, and the open collection I have will fall off late 14. I just DV'd my open collection, and I will try for a PFD, but its w a CA now, so I am not sure how easy that will be. Whats the shopping cart trick?

Starting Score: 634
Current Score: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.