Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should i Apply for???

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: What card should i Apply for???

Capital One is known to give second chances, so years ago Charge off will probably not hurt you for a secured card with them.

Capital One secured card has good terms, low cost,  and is reasonably easy to qualify for.   

Assuming you have no major CC at this time, getting one with improve your score, but it does not matter which one.   

You should also consider CU, many have secured cards as well.  

Message 11 of 20
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, Cap 1 is very forgiving. Of my baddies for my 2006 financial disaster of a year, I ended up with THREE cap 1 charge off accounts. They just let me have a secured card. Granted..it's only a $200 limit with a $99 deposit, but at least I can just match 1:1 and raise my CL.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ztnjpv wrote:

BTW, if at all possible, don't get a secured card. Doesn't help much if at all.

Why not? 

Message 13 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

BTW, if at all possible, don't get a secured card. Doesn't help much if at all.

Why not? 

I think it does help considering the cardholder controls the CL though deposits.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 20
polo1985
Valued Member

I was approved for a secured card with capital one... I put down a $300 deposit and got a $451 credit limit.  Thanks to everyone with the much needed information.  Im just wondering should i pay my balances in full every month or just pay the majority of it and leave a little bit on my card every month to help build my credit?  Also how long does it take a person to graduate to a unsecured card??

Starting Score: 581
Current Score: EQ 618 TU 595
Goal Score: 660

Message 15 of 20
Poorfico24
New Contributor

Was your charge off paid or unpaid? I have an unpaid one from 2002, so I am scared to apply for a secured and be denied. Nothing comes up on their prequallify- not sure is it's because I'm blacklisted or if it is because I'm opted out.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@polo1985 wrote:

I was approved for a secured card with capital one... I put down a $300 deposit and got a $451 credit limit.  Thanks to everyone with the much needed information.  Im just wondering should i pay my balances in full every month or just pay the majority of it and leave a little bit on my card every month to help build my credit?  Also how long does it take a person to graduate to a unsecured card??

Carrying a balance will do nothing extra to help establish credit.

Message 17 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@polo1985 wrote:

+1

It will absolutely, in no way, help your FICO scores.

There's anecdotal evidence that some of the bottom-feeder cards will reward you for carrying balances by changing your APR or CL. Just IMO, I would never pay a CCC via interest payments (which is what happens if you carry balances.)

If they want/ require me to pay them interest in order to get decent service, then I say to hell with 'em. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 20
polo1985
Valued Member

Poorfico24.. My charge off was paid i thing in 2010.  I was scared of being denied also.  It never hurts to try

Starting Score: 581
Current Score: EQ 618 TU 595
Goal Score: 660

Message 19 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@polo1985 wrote:

+1

It will absolutely, in no way, help your FICO scores.

There's anecdotal evidence that some of the bottom-feeder cards will reward you for carrying balances by changing your APR or CL. Just IMO, I would never pay a CCC via interest payments (which is what happens if you carry balances.)

If they want/ require me to pay them interest in order to get decent service, then I say to hell with 'em. Smiley Happy

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.