cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card to apply for? Low to mid 600's scores.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card to apply for? Low to mid 600's scores.

I have a 643 equifax, 624 TU and a 644 experian scores.  One student loan for 5kish and no other debt except a write off from 2008 which I am not sure what to do with.  I haven't had a credit card since 2005.  Mixed credit otherwise, spotty payments history in years past but good the last two nearly 3 years.  I want to get a credit  card to start working on my score but am not sure what to go for.  Years ago I had a Capital One chargeoff, maybe 8 or 9.  Any suggestions?  I have been afraid to apply so far.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: What card to apply for? Low to mid 600's scores.

It sounds like a Walmart card would fit your profile pretty well. They are known to approve people with scores as low as 620 regularly. You would also get a free TU FICO score after signing up for electronic billing and they are very generous with CLIs.

I think you have a really good shot at the Walmart card.

If you get approved for the Walmart card I would app immediately for a Capitol One Classic card with the $39 annual fee. At this point you really don't have anything to loose if you are declined, but I also think you have a decent shot at the Cap1 card and the upside is great if you get approved.

If you are lucky and get these cards, just sit back and garden them for about 6 months before making any other credit moves.

Good luck!

Make sure to stop back here and let us know how it went!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 14
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Did you run and pre quals? id check chase discover wallmart cap one and boa

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 3 of 14
C6Guy
Established Member

I agree with twist the prequalified site is the way to go. My sister got her first card a chase freedom via the chase pre qualify site. Try the barclays pre approval link. As far as experience goes I had success with lowes, pay pal and walmart in the low 600's. Once I got to the mid 600's barclays was open to give me my first big unsecured limit. Only problem is lack of credit cards. From what I hear cap one has a short term memory regarding charge offs. Best of luck with your apps.
Message 4 of 14
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

A chase Pre Qual is just as good as a aproval. IMHO but YMMV

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't tried anything, have been reading these forums trying to learn how things work.  

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied and was apporved for Discover IT yesterday. I don't know my true FICO but CK was 605 and CSesame was 655. Of course, I was "pre-qual" when I checked thier site. My redit file is quite thin. I had a CapOne and Payal, both closed, two years ago. Eah had one 30 day late. I just recently got CapOne Platnium??, again, in FEB for 500 CL and another CapOne, Qucksliver, for the same CL in MAY. I then got a AMEX Cash in JUNE after I got a "pre-qual" mailer with a 2000 CL. I would try thier pre-quals to all the major site and I dont think it is a hard pull.     

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart gave me a card with a $500 limit to start.  Capital One Classic with $1000 limit.   Looking forward to building credit.  Thank you for the help.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 643 equifax, 624 TU and a 644 experian scores.  One student loan for 5kish and no other debt except a write off from 2008 which I am not sure what to do with.  I haven't had a credit card since 2005.  Mixed credit otherwise, spotty payments history in years past but good the last two nearly 3 years.  I want to get a credit  card to start working on my score but am not sure what to go for.  Years ago I had a Capital One chargeoff, maybe 8 or 9.  Any suggestions?  I have been afraid to apply so far.

You can apply for.... Smiley Wink ... http://www.creditcards.org/nfl-credit-cards/nfl-extra-points-credit-card--4 ......AND.... http://www.creditcards.org/capital-one/sony-card-from-capital-one ......AND.... http://www.creditcards.org/discover/discover-it-for-students-with-20-cashback-bonus

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the NFL one a Barclaycard, card?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.