Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card to apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card to apply for?

I am looking at applying for a new credit card, because the one's I have all have a really low credit limit (2 Capital One cards w/ 300.00 limits and one Orchard Bank card with 320.00 limit).  They almost always get paid off each month, so I'm not really worried about the interest rate.  I travel quite a bit and need something with a higher limit for hotels ect.  I don't want to have to be worried when they put a hold on the card that there is not enough avaliable even though it's at a zero balance.  My TU score is the best (currently 644), and I do have one unpaid judgement and a collection on my report to go with it.  What do I have the best chance of getting with the highest credit limit?  Any suggestions would help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card to apply for?

Message 2 of 6
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

With those scores/negatives, the only way you are going to get a higher limit is with a secured card.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
With those scores/negatives, the only way you are going to get a higher limit is with a secured card.

http://www.creditcards.com/bad-credit.php

Message 4 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, you need to look at doing a secured card if you want a higher limit
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 6
Jlu
Established Contributor

Don't give up - I'd actually go for a Barclaycard at your scores as long as you have at least 1 year of revolving credit history with either your Cap1 or Orchard card. You will definitely need to recon it so be prepared to call their backdoor number at (866) 408-4064. Ask for $1000, you may get it as they pull TU and I got a $750 CL with a 628 TU. If $1000 isn't going to be high enough then I'm going to side with everyone else and say just wait.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.