Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card to apply for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card to apply for?

So I have been gardening since last year July 2015, when I got my AMEX Blue card and PRG.

AMEX FICO score as of April is in 740's, and SallieMae reports my score as 744 as of 5/15/2016.

I am looking for a card that has the following features:

1) No Annual Fee

2) No Foreign Transaction Fee

3) Visa or Mastercard, as long as it is accepted worldwide

4) 0% APR that is atleast 12 months or more

5) Generous CLI

6) IF possible, take 1 HP, but apply for two cards at the same time

7) Dont really care about the rewards, but wouldnt mind

I am always getting letters in the mail from Discover and CITI to apply for their cards, but I just bin them lol.

My balance on my Amex is around $4.5K, will have it paid around middle of July hopefully. I pay more than minimum required, and my 0% APR expires in September this year.

I also have a chase freedom Card applied and approved in June 2014, so I only have 4 credit cards.

I might close off my PRG, since it will now revert to an annual fee, and the promotion will be over in July 2016, unless they completelty waive it, then I might keep it.

Balance on other cards is $0, I also have a mortgage, always paid on time, no baddies on my report.

Total credit limit of all cards combined is around $25K.

Should I also wait until I can lower my balance more from Amex? Util seems to be currently around 18%.

Thanks

Edit : Changed to "No Anuual Fee"

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card to apply for?

My first thought was Sapphire but there is no introduction APR
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My first thought was Sapphire but there is no introduction APR

Thanks, but I thought Sapphire comes with an annual fee, and your right, no introductory 0% APR Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have been gardening since last year July 2015, when I got my AMEX Blue card and PRG.

AMEX FICO score as of April is in 740's, and SallieMae reports my score as 744 as of 5/15/2016.

1) An Annual Fee

5) Generous CLI

You want an AF?   That's not a typical request.

You might consider VentureOne.  It doesn't have an AF, but it's 0% for 12 months, it's a VISA, and there's no FTF.  There's the 20K bonus miles for $1K spend in the first 3 months.   You can redeem toward travel purchases for 1 cent per mile (non-travel would be 1/2 cent).  However, you could eventually PC it to the QuickSilver.   Cap One does the infamous triple pull at application, but they never do HPs after that for their main cards.   You could likely get a CLI before your 3rd statement.

IIRC, you may be able to get two cards using the same triple pull.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

None of the Chase cards have a foreign transaction fee. You could go for the Venture One or the Quicksilver - both no annual fee and running a 0% intro promotion. Bank of America's Travel card also has a 0% intro fee and no foreign transaction fee, but I don't know them to be too genrous with CLIs, at least not without a hard pull, but your credit is good, so maybe.

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CatOfSpades wrote:

None of the Chase cards have a foreign transaction fee. You could go for the Venture One or the Quicksilver - both no annual fee and running a 0% intro promotion. Bank of America's Travel card also has a 0% intro fee and no foreign transaction fee, but I don't know them to be too genrous with CLIs, at least not without a hard pull, but your credit is good, so maybe.

Both of your Chase cards, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, charge a FTF of 3%.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're probably looking at a credit union card of the no frills variety. What region are you in?

Generous CLI will be the roadblock. BoA travel rewards and CapOne quicksilver are not far off from what you want, but both can be hard to cli. Credit unions can be hard to CLI too.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You're probably looking at a credit union card of the no frills variety. What region are you in?

Generous CLI will be the roadblock. BoA travel rewards and CapOne quicksilver are not far off from what you want, but both can be hard to cli. Credit unions can be hard to CLI too.

Im in the Chicago region, thanks

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1) An Annual Fee

5) Generous CLI

You want an AF?   That's not a typical request.

You might consider VentureOne.  It doesn't have an AF, but it's 0% for 12 months, it's a VISA, and there's no FTF.  There's the 20K bonus miles for $1K spend in the first 3 months.   You can redeem toward travel purchases for 1 cent per mile (non-travel would be 1/2 cent).  However, you could eventually PC it to the QuickSilver.   Cap One does the infamous triple pull at application, but they never do HPs after that for their main cards.   You could likely get a CLI before your 3rd statement.

IIRC, you may be able to get two cards using the same triple pull.  

Apologies, edited post, yes I would like a card with no annual fee.

Will look into Venture One, thanks.

What does PC to Quicksilver mean, sorry I am a noob lol.

Is there anyway to check if I am pre-approved for VenutreOne, like a site for their cards, and also, whether their results are solid for approvals?

Message 9 of 11
sarge12
Senior Contributor

At the risk of sounding preachy....the only way to use credit cards is to pay the entire balance every month in full. If you do that, you get the advantage of rewards, extended warranties and such for free.. You never have to pay a dime in interest no matter what interest rate they wish to charge. If you need to finance a large purchase, a personal loan with a more favorable interest rate is the way to go. We as a sociaty need to learn to live within our means. Please do not fall victim to the credit card trap, where the credit card issuer raising your interest rate or lowering your credit limit can cause you problems. Credit cards can protect you and make you money if you use self dicipline and just use the cards for the items you would just pay cash for without them. I always apply for the cards with the best rewards and could care less what the interest rate is because if you pay entire balance it is always 0. If I have a choice between a card with a 28% interest rate 1.5% cash back and $200 bonus, or 8% interest and 1% reward, I'll take the 28% interest rate card every time.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.