Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card would you opt for next?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

What card would you opt for next?

I'm lucky to recently get all the cards I could only dream about, but now I'm looking forward to my Fall 2013 app spree.

I really don't see much else to app for other than the Chase Sapphire Preferred, in which I'll need a mid 700's score (I won't attempt it otherwise).  I'll PC my BCE to a BCP next fall if possible.  

I guess I could use a Mastercard in my lineup.  Suggestions?

BTW, I won't do business with Capital One or Barclays.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kulamrazool82
Valued Member

Re: What card would you opt for next?

Did a big app spree last month and got approved for 1 Auto Loan, 1 Personal loan, 3 CCs, 3 store cards. All are reporting this month so I am expecting a huge hit to my fico.

Planning to app next summer for an Amex account (BCE or Zync) and Chase Freedom. Before that have to get rid off toy limit cards.

- Syed

Scores: 723 (EX CITI Pull 11/09/13), 669 (CK 11/21/13), 680 (EQ Duck Card Score 11/11/13) 664 (Walmart TU FICO Nov '13)
Duck Card - 12K | Amex BCE - 2K | Amex Costco - 1.2K | CITI TY Pref - 6.5K | Chase Freedom - 3K | DCU Visa - 5K | Genisys CU Visa - 2K | Discover More - 4.5K | Cap1 Q Silver - 1500 | Cap One Hassle Free - 1500 | Amazon Store - 1900 | Walmart Store - 800 | Kohls - 300 | Macys - 800
Message 2 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

Not sure how kulamrazool82's post is relevant.

You're pretty much on the same path as I am, minus the Zync.  My next cards are CSP, BCP, and maybe Cash+.  When I'm done, the wallet will hold the CSP, BCP, Freedom, More, and Costco.  I'm still thinking of dropping my Amex Gold - no value in MR points for me - and timing the BCP application to maximize backdating.  Adding the BCP and dropping the Gold will, if everything goes to plan, add 7 months to the age of the account.

The Cash+ may be a good card for you as well.  Also, don't forget that you can apply for the CSP as a World Elite MC instead of the Visa Signature.  The benefits are pretty much the same.

Honestly, I don't think having a MC instead of a Visa will make a whole mess of difference in the grand scheme of things unless you have a specific reason - some place that takes MC but not Visa?

Message 3 of 11
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

You're pretty much on the same path as I am, minus the Zync.  My next cards are CSP, BCP, and maybe Cash+.  When I'm done, the wallet will hold the CSP, BCP, Freedom, More, and Costco.  I'm still thinking of dropping my Amex Gold - no value in MR points for me - and timing the BCP application to maximize backdating.  Adding the BCP and dropping the Gold will, if everything goes to plan, add 7 months to the age of the account.

The Cash+ may be a good card for you as well.  Also, don't forget that you can apply for the CSP as a World Elite MC instead of the Visa Signature.  The benefits are pretty much the same.

Honestly, I don't think having a MC instead of a Visa will make a whole mess of difference in the grand scheme of things unless you have a specific reason - some place that takes MC but not Visa?

Ya, I think he meant to post in another thread.

Anyways,

I see no other charge card that would be useful to me besides the Zync.  Even it's not that useful other than to say I have an AMEX Smiley Happy

I have no preference in Visa or Mastercard.  My cards have always been Visa and I have yet to have a problem, so it's a null point.  

I've been looking at US Bank's Cash+ offering and I hope they have that for me to app for next fall.  I may do a Citi Diamond Mastercard, but I'll have to see where my scores are by then (gunning for 750), but as of now I'm in the high 600's and the only thing that will help me at this point is time.  Time for my inquiries to fall off, time for my lates to be less damaging, and time to build up on time payments % now that I have 6 new lines reporting.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 4 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

@djrez4 wrote:

Ya, I think he meant to post in another thread.

Anyways,

I see no other charge card that would be useful to me besides the Zync.  Even it's not that useful other than to say I have an AMEX Smiley Happy

I have no preference in Visa or Mastercard.  My cards have always been Visa and I have yet to have a problem, so it's a null point.  

I've been looking at US Bank's Cash+ offering and I hope they have that for me to app for next fall.  I may do a Citi Diamond Mastercard, but I'll have to see where my scores are by then (gunning for 750), but as of now I'm in the high 600's and the only thing that will help me at this point is time.  Time for my inquiries to fall off, time for my lates to be less damaging, and time to build up on time payments % now that I have 6 new lines reporting.

I browse Citi's offerings once in a while, but until I get up in the high 700s and start churning with the AA cards, I see nothing interesting.  Thank You Points aren't as valuable as UR points.  They just can't match up to the value of Chase, especially with the Trifecta.  I guess the Diamond MC would be interesting if one didn't have any other concierge cards, but it doesn't have any rewards at all.  Overall, I just see Citi as rather useless.

Message 5 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

OP how did yous had a discover wthat that high limit with your current score ...."?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 11
flowfaster
Established Contributor

That is how I feel about citi.  They just have nothing that is that interesting.  Except for MAYBE the Forward card but even then I have to deal with another points system that isn't that great.

How is the Dividend card?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 7 of 11
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

OP how did yous had a discover wthat that high limit with your current score ...."?

I haven't the slightest clue.  I fell out of my seat myself.  It is this approval that caused me to go on an app spree and I went 5 for 5 in one day.  Other than mortgage shopping, I haven't applied for credit since 2008.  Definately not for a credit card since that always led to disappointment.  But now I'm in the garden until Octover 2013, full of confidence.

On topic: I was looking at the Citi cards, and I thought the Diamond Preferred would be a good addition (assuming I'm in the mid 700's by then), but the more I look at the Citi cards, the more I realize I don't need their cards.  I was already denied the Simplicity for 'too many inquiries', and after trying to recon the app, I now know I don't want to do business with Citi and their offshore CSR's with accents clearly reading from a script, not even paying attention to what I'm saying.

Recon from Citi:

Me: Yes, I'd like to talk to you about the letter you sent on my recent denial and explain why I have "too many inquiries"

Citi: Sure, let me have your letter #, verify ID, etc.

Citi: We are sorry to inform you that you have been denied for a Citi card for haivng too many inquiries. We can't extend credit to you at this time.

Me: ...yes, I know.  That's exactly what the letter says, but the inquiries are due to me mortgage shopping, in which I just recently closed on.

Citi: Yes, sir. But you have too many inquiries.

Me: I understand that, but can you reconsider the app with the fact that those inquiries are due to mortgage shopping.

Citi: I'm sorry sir.  You have too many inquiries.  There's nothing we can do about that.

Me: Ok, can I get a manager, because I feel you're not even listening to what I'm saying.  I'm trying to explain the situation and inquiries is the only thing you list as denial.

Citi: My manager will tell you the same thing sir.  We can't extend credit at this time.

Me: Well let me talk to him anyway.

Citi: Let me put you on hold sir.

**10 minutes later**

Citi: We can't get in touch with a manager right now.  I'll have him call you back tomorrow morning.

Me: Ya.  Ok.  Thank you.

He never called.

Citi is on my blacklist.

My Wallet:
Message 8 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

I haven't the slightest clue.  I fell out of my seat myself.  It is this approval that caused me to go on an app spree and I went 5 for 5 in one day.  Other than mortgage shopping, I haven't applied for credit since 2008.  Definately not for a credit card since that always led to disappointment.  But now I'm in the garden until Octover 2013, full of confidence.

On topic: I was looking at the Citi cards, and I thought the Diamond Preferred would be a good addition (assuming I'm in the mid 700's by then), but the more I look at the Citi cards, the more I realize I don't need their cards.  I was already denied the Simplicity for 'too many inquiries', and after trying to recon the app, I now know I don't want to do business with Citi and their offshore CSR's with accents clearly reading from a script, not even paying attention to what I'm saying.

Recon from Citi:

Me: Yes, I'd like to talk to you about the letter you sent on my recent denial and explain why I have "too many inquiries"

Citi: We are sorry to inform you that you have been denied for a Citi card for haivng too many inquiries. We can't extend credit to you at this time.

Me: ...yes, I know.  That's exactly what the letter says, but the inquiries are due to me mortgage shopping, in which I just recently closed on.

Me: I understand that, but can you reconsider the app with the fact that those inquiries are due to mortgage shopping.

Citi: I'm sorry sir.  You have too many inquiries.  There's nothing we can do about that.

Me: Ok, can I get a manager, because I feel you're not even listening to what I'm saying.  I'm trying to explain the situation and inquiries is the only thing you list as denial.

Citi: My manager will tell you the same thing sir.  We can't extend credit at this time.

**10 minutes later**

Citi: We can't get in touch with a manager right now.  I'll have him call you back tomorrow morning.

He never called.

Citi is on my blacklist.

I had the same experience with Discover.  $16k with my only prior positive history being a pair of WFNNB lines for $1200 and $1500.  You and I are credit twins.

Also, I read through that entire conversation imagining an Indian (dot, not feather) accent for the Citi rep.

Message 9 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

Recon from Citi:

**10 minutes later**

He never called.

Citi is on my blacklist.

I feel your frustration! Sometimes I hang up the phone and just scream. Have you tried a # on the backdoor sticky? I'm not sure when this took place, but the backdoor sticky #s are usually US call centers and people higher up on the food chain, with more authority.

You can go to mastercard.com and look at which banks offer MC. They're just not so prevalent as Visa for some reason. I really wanted a MC, primarily to have the variety, and got Barclay's reward World MC. I know you said you won't do biz w/Barclay's, but frankly, IME they have gotten a bad rap. For every one negative experience, there are dozens (or more) of people who have positive experiences. And I do believe their AAs are warranted and not just out of the blue for no reason (like Amex FRs seem to be).

I know Chase offers a MC version of Freedom. Also NFCU offers MC versions of some of their CCs, even though you don't see the MC on the website. You have to ask for it. Maybe try Googling a CCC/bank you like + mastercard and see what comes up.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.