cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cards are most aggressive in granting CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards are most aggressive in granting CLI?

Last month, I went on a spree and had a pretty successful outcome, adding about 50k in revolving credit to work with.  After the initial drop in my scores, Equifax and Transunion are above where they were before the spree, while Experian is still about 5 points under. 

How long should I wait before trying to increase limits on my new (or old) accounts?  What providers are the most aggressive about granting credit limit increases?

NFCU Cash rewards (current 25k limit) - haven't had a CLI in 3 years, but they recently gave me a new $15k LOC, an installment loan (consolidated a couple) AND a car loan all in the past month.  .

Penfed - Initial 15k limit last month

Amex Blue Cash - Initial 5k I can request teh 3x limit after 61 days?

Discover IT - initial 5.5k

Chase Sapphire - Initial 10k - have put about 5.5k on it (trip to Italy and new computer for my college-bound daughter) - This will be paid off this month.  Do I need to wait 6 months?  year?

Barclay Card - initial 2.5k

Are any of these more/less likely to grant increases sooner?  Any strategies to help grow these?  I would like to get to $250K revolving within a couple years.  My yearly income exceeds that. 

9 REPLIES 9
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: What cards are most aggressive in granting CLI?

With the possible exception of Amex and their 3X CLI at 61 days, I think that most cards want to see heavy usage before they give an early CLI.  That, IMHO, is a problem with app sprees as you then have multiple cards to spend on.

I have had good luck with Chase spending hard the first 2 months and receiving an auto-CLI the third month.  My wife who has similiar cards has not put the same amount of spend on her cards and has never received a CLI.  YMMV.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would you consider a reasonable (i.e., not early) time to request a CLI?

Relative to credit limit, I am spending a good amount on both the Chase and Barclay.  Between setting up my kid for college and a lot of travel, it has been easier than I would normally have hoped.

Message 3 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Last month, I went on a spree and had a pretty successful outcome, adding about 50k in revolving credit to work with.  After the initial drop in my scores, Equifax and Transunion are above where they were before the spree, while Experian is still about 5 points under. 

How long should I wait before trying to increase limits on my new (or old) accounts?  What providers are the most aggressive about granting credit limit increases?

NFCU Cash rewards (current 25k limit) - haven't had a CLI in 3 years, but they recently gave me a new $15k LOC, an installment loan (consolidated a couple) AND a car loan all in the past month.  .

Chase Sapphire - Initial 10k - have put about 5.5k on it (trip to Italy and new computer for my college-bound daughter) - This will be paid off this month.  Do I need to wait 6 months?  year?

Are any of these more/less likely to grant increases sooner?  Any strategies to help grow these?  I would like to get to $250K revolving within a couple years.  My yearly income exceeds that. 

With your income that TCL should be a cake walk to obtain. What are your current FICO scores? That will give a clearer picture of what you have to work with.

Penfed is pretty good about granting increases. Actually it would make more sense and easier to grab another card from them that you can use, if your original EQ pull is still in effect.You can always combine the limits later.

Amex is great about CLI's. Have you tried requesting 3X yet? If not.. try it now. No big deal if it doesn't go through. Wait 61 days from activating the card and try again. If nothing, go to 91 and then 181 days.

You look like a good candidate for First tech FCU. The Odyssey WEMC card has a minimum SL of $25,000 and maxes at $100,000(No balance transfer, cash advance or foreign transaction fees)

. Anyone can join this CU and they pull EX for membership and loan apps. When you join, they prompt you to apply for one of their cards. I haven't joined them yet. They are next on my list of CU's.

https://firsttechfed.secure.force.com/website/Websiterates?Category=CreditCards&Product=AllCreditCards&SubProduct=OdysseyRewardsWorldEliteMasterCard&_ga=2.126785678.229024535.1499720676-1369112061.1499720676

https://www.firsttechfed.com/Credit-Cards/Credit-Cards

Barclays is a tight wad. I would'nt count on major CLIs from them.

The higher end Citi and BofA(Merril Lynch Plus) cards would be great for heavy hitter limits. BofA is very generous as long as you don't have a BK, from reports here.

Message 4 of 10
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you consider a reasonable (i.e., not early) time to request a CLI?

Relative to credit limit, I am spending a good amount on both the Chase and Barclay.  Between setting up my kid for college and a lot of travel, it has been easier than I would normally have hoped.

I would wait on Chase to see if they give you an auto-CLI as it will be a HP if you request it.  When I received my Freedom then CSP then CSR I was running $10K+ through them a month.  Like the OP, life at the time required me to spend money.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Earlier this year I posted a thread for my discover it journey. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-CLI-The-road-to-32k/m-p/4842730/highl...

It it shows my increases with regards to spend etc for discover it and how I got it to 32k.

I was also able to get mt Amex BCE card to 28.5k using the 3x method.

i feel that these two cards should be the easiest for you to grow with the right amount of spend and CLI requests. Good luck !

Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I agree with Gmood, with your income, the sky is the limit. If you are st 25k with Navy you could ptobably ask for 50k and get it even if its a hp. Need more credit, theres always the Flagship that goes up to 80k. You already have some good cards with good limits is imagine as you spend, youll get more credit. Between Penfed and Navy alone you could see possibly 200k alone if they gave you max credit. Good luck on your journey, it can be fun if done rightSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the spree results.

Does your available credit have to be in the form of Revolving Credit Cards? 

The AMEX Platinum or PRG are charge cards, they don't really count in your regular FICO Utilization numbers, and with NPSL, the amount you are able to charge depends a lot on your spend and pay history: Set a habit of charges through the card, paid in full a few weeks later, and that is a strong influence on future charge capacity. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With your income that TCL should be a cake walk to obtain. What are your current FICO scores? That will give a clearer picture of what you have to work with.

Penfed is pretty good about granting increases. Actually it would make more sense and easier to grab another card from them that you can use, if your original EQ pull is still in effect.You can always combine the limits later.

Amex is great about CLI's. Have you tried requesting 3X yet? If not.. try it now. No big deal if it doesn't go through. Wait 61 days from activating the card and try again. If nothing, go to 91 and then 181 days.

You look like a good candidate for First tech FCU. The Odyssey WEMC card has a minimum SL of $25,000 and maxes at $100,000(No balance transfer, cash advance or foreign transaction fees)

. Anyone can join this CU and they pull EX for membership and loan apps. When you join, they prompt you to apply for one of their cards. I haven't joined them yet. They are next on my list of CU's.

https://firsttechfed.secure.force.com/website/Websiterates?Category=CreditCards&Product=AllCreditCards&SubProduct=OdysseyRewardsWorldEliteMasterCard&_ga=2.126785678.229024535.1499720676-1369112061.1499720676

The higher end Citi and BofA(Merril Lynch Plus) cards would be great for heavy hitter limits. BofA is very generous as long as you don't have a BK, from reports here.

Thank you for the quick response.

My current scores are:

Equifax 693

Transunion 712

Experian 677

I expect these to go up significantly in the short term as I pay off a high balance on my NFCU card.

Message 9 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.

My current scores are:

Equifax 693

Transunion 712

Experian 677

I expect these to go up significantly in the short term as I pay off a high balance on my NFCU card.

I assume your utilization is above 30% on the NFCU card? 

Don't forget to try Amex for a 3x cli when you get a chance..never hurts to try as it is no HP.

I'm still going to recommend First Tech, as they have some great cards with benefits and seem to be very income motivated when dishing out SLs.

I've seen members here start off with $40/$50k limits with them. Their incomes are in your tax bracket I would assume.

Paying down the card would be a good idea before apping with them, but my backwards thinking is they may welcome that debt and be more motivated to go higher on the SL, if you do a balance transfer with them..which has no fees or charges any way. So doing that would not cost you a dime. Plus you get the 0% for 12 months.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.